• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Help Me Learn How To Become an IGent

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
Additionally, I'm curious why this forum doesn't have a beginners sub-forum or an ongoing thread for beginners.
tounge.gif
Also, one last quick question: I read in the thrifting thread that people come across nice bespoke suits. Will the label indicate that it is bespoke?
worship.gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evanrose
I've been posting on this forum for quite some time (and lurking even longer) and the first time I heard the phrase IGent (or is it iGent?) was the other day when I posted my new shoes on the shoe damage forum. I don't know what it means (unless it's completely self-explanatory and I'm just looking for something a bit meatier), but it seems as though it's a brand new thing around here. Off I go to the search field to learn more.

In the meantime, can someone enlighten me? I'm really hoping it's not an insult.

i am not going to tell you what it means, but I will give you some advice. Only use the term among your eFriends.

evanrose

Reaction score
You step away from this forum for three days and the entire culture changes. I can't believe I missed it.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=88881

So it's an insult, but a good natured one. I hope.

To answer your question OP, hang out and listen, but dress for your age and occupation.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
i am not going to tell you what it means, but I will give you some advice. Only use the term among your eFriends.

it's "e-friends." As in, those are the only friends a manbearpig has.
frown.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evanrose
You step away from this forum for three days and the entire culture changes. I can't believe I missed it. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=88881 So it's an insult, but a good natured one. I hope. To answer your question OP, hang out and listen, but dress for your age and occupation.
Nah, in spite of the misleading title, that's an unofficial rip off
frown.gif
The term was coined by one of my guys on my site.
smile.gif

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
You're good, you're really, really good.
smile.gif

And Im a film noir buff

I feel like I should understand what you are trying to imply, but I really don't.

If you are making a reference to Kaiser Sose being one of the coolest leading characters in a film noir movie, then I agree. If you are trying to be a dick to me, please do not pick on the helpless.

zeero3

Reaction score
Play more of a LAG style and don't forget to value-bet the river; however, an iGent will always make comfortable table conversation and tip the dealer...

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
KS, here is something I wrote about bespoke a while back. You say that there are contradictory definitions posted, and I agree. I stand by this as being as close to definitive as we can get:

I would place the differences between bespoke and MTM into three main categories: pattern, fittings, and detailing/cut.

With bespoke, the pattern should be made from scratch, specifically for you. Ideally, the cutter has learned a thing or two over the years, certain tricks that he pioneered, or perhaps things he learned from others and refined for himself through practice and trial and error. Since he sees you and measures you, and then draws your pattern, his pattern will more accurately reflect your body, measurements, shape, idiosyncrasies, etc. than any MTM pattern ever could. I don't want to sell MTM or stock patterns short. It is actually quite hard to devise a pattern system that works well for a variety of men over a range of sizes, and that can be easily modified in the most critical respects. Quite hard. But still, it will not be as faithful to your specific form as a well made pattern designed just for you.

One way to think of it is as follows: the parts of a pattern are two dimensional. They have edges, boundaries or what have you. With bespoke, every single one of those edges is up for grabs. They are all changeable. The can be made longer or shorter, more curved or straighter, angled outward or drawn inward: whatever YOU need for a perfect fit. This is just not possible with MTM. Key modifications are possible, but not everything is on the table for changes.

As to fittings, with MTM you typically get at most one. And this will typically be at a more advanced stage, limiting the extent of possible corrections or modifications. Also, the fittings are done by an in-store tailor who is not the architect of the MTM pattern system.

With bespoke, however, all fittings should be done by the cutter who drafted your pattern. He thus has intimate knowledge of that pattern. He should be able to see clearly where adjustment needs to be made, and he will be in an ideal position to adjust correctly. Then he can correct the pattern accordingly, making your next suit that much better from the get-go. This is one reason why sticking with the same bespoke tailor results in progressively better results until the third suit or so.

Also, you will get more fittings, and they will begin at an earlier stage in the process. If you are a first-time customer, you might even get a "muslin" fitting, that is, a proto-suit made from cheap cloth solely to check the pattern. However, hardly anyone does this anymore. At a minimum, the first fitting should be just the body of the coat with the canvas basted in -- no collar, no sleeves. Front-back and left-right balance are checked, as these are much easier to correct at this stage. Also, if they are off, the whole coat will be a botch. Then the tailor will add the collar and make sure it hugs the neck. Then he will baste in the sleeves and check the pitch. All the while, he is making sure that everything is correct, and that any adjustments he makes to one part do not have unforeseen consequences elsewhere. When everything is right, the basting thread is removed and the coat is "made." Then there is a final chance for him to check things over to make absolutely sure that everything is right. This number of fittings is just not offered with MTM. And if it were, the distinction between MTM and bespoke would blur considerably.

Now, the longer you work with one tailor, the less of this he may need to do. He might get your pattern so down, that he can go straight to a forward fitting every time. But that will have been the result of some trial and error in the beginning, with the first few suits. And, again, that trial and error is not really possible with MTM.

Finally, you should be able to get absolutely whatever you want. You should not be limited by set models or options. You should be able to raise or lower the waist and button point, increase or decrease the distance between buttons, widen or narrow the lapels, raise or lower the gorge, widen or narrow the shoulders, flare or cup the skirt, and on and on through myriad details. Yes, you may have to contend with a "house style" and some tailors can be stubborn about things they simply do not want to do. But the range of options in terms of detailing and cut will nonetheless be much wider than with MTM.

Wait, what? Was this a serious post from Manton? I thought you had retired from the business of serious posting and were in full snark.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I should understand what you are trying to imply, but I really don't. If you are making a reference to Kaiser Sose being one of the coolest leading characters in a film noir movie, then I agree. If you are trying to be a dick to me, please do not pick on the helpless.
You misjudge me, partially. Kaiser Soze does indeed fit that bill and I am your friend.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I feel like I should understand what you are trying to imply, but I really don't.

If you are making a reference to Kaiser Sose being one of the coolest leading characters in a film noir movie, then I agree. If you are trying to be a dick to me, please do not pick on the helpless.

He is fighting a proxy war with me. You are just a pawn. Sorry you got dragged into it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Wait, what? Was this a serious post from Manton? I thought you had retired from the business of serious posting and were in full snark.

Wrote it a long time ago and just dug it out.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Wrote it a long time ago and just dug it out.

Ahh, phew. Good. I didn't like the new crusading Manton at first, but now that I'm coming up to speed on some of the inside jokes, I am rather enjoying myself.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
You misjudge me, partially. Kaiser Soze does indeed fit that bill and I am your friend.
smile.gif

Love your new avatar, FNB. Very resonant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads