• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me find a black brogue lace up boot

rxcowboy

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a black wingtip/brogue lace up boot but I'm not that knowledgeable about boots and need help I'm looking for a black lace up boot with a wingtip/brogue pattern. As much as I'd like to say price isn't a factor, it is so I'd like to keep the cost under 600. Any help would be much obliged, thanks!

Curious_George

Reaction score
I've been looking for the same thing. Currently I have my eyes set on Tricker's Stow in black. Lots of good photos here, http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/de...ickers002.html Now I just need to figure out what size I need
confused.gif
edit: Alden AF85/AF72 are also great options. I'm looking for a bit more "clunky" which is why I'm looking at the Trickers, but I think those aldens are better if you want to dress them up.

rxcowboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
I've been looking for the same thing. Currently I have my eyes set on Tricker's Stow in black.

Lots of good photos here,

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/de...ickers002.html

Now I just need to figure out what size I need
confused.gif

edit: Alden AF85/AF72 are also great options. I'm looking for a bit more "clunky" which is why I'm looking at the Trickers, but I think those aldens are better if you want to dress them up.

Holy **** thanks mate, the 85s look just about *perfect* for what I was in the market for.

Now, can anyone anyone please tell me what's so special about cordovan leather and is it worth the price?

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I third the Aldens. I picked up the AF88 - Dark Brown Calfskin Plain High Boot with Commando Sole - and I'm loving them. Adam was very helpful in helping me with sizing.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcowboy
Now, can anyone anyone please tell me what's so special about cordovan leather and is it worth the price?
Shell cordovan comes from a horse's rear end - it's tanned differently than calf, and the result gives you a more shiny, water resistant leather. It creases differently as well, in that you won't get the same micro creases that develop on calf.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
cordovan leather and is it worth the price?

imo, no it's not worth it. Obviously it's subjective as plenty of guys on here love the ****, but I'd rather have calf leather shoes, even if cordovan was the same price. Just not a fan of the plasticky look of cordovan and being the sort of fellow who likes to polish his shoes after every wear or two, cordovan not taking well to polish drives me nuts. (meaning, you arent supposed to polish cordovan more than a couple times/year otherwise the polish builds up on the leather and leaves it murky looking)

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
imo, no it's not worth it. Obviously it's subjective as plenty of guys on here love the ****, but I'd rather have calf leather shoes, even if cordovan was the same price. Just not a fan of the plasticky look of cordovan and being the sort of fellow who likes to polish his shoes after every wear or two, cordovan not taking well to polish drives me nuts. (meaning, you arent supposed to polish cordovan more than a couple times/year otherwise the polish builds up on the leather and leaves it murky looking)
Plus, the shoes will look like crap after they get lots of wear.

rxcowboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Plus, the shoes will look like crap after they get lots of wear.

Ah, this is what I really needed to know. If I'm throwing down 600 on a pair of boots, I think it's a reasonable expectation that if I take good care of them, they will still hold up after alot of wear.

Guess I'll pass on the cordovan!

For curiousity's sake, does anyone recommend a plain, black lace up boot that is more on the dressy/formal side?

delirium

Reaction score
i got some paul smith ones that are kinda chunky, wing tip, and pebble grain.
they're interesting imo, but you probably want something dressier and sleaker.

lots of good options on this thread.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, this is what I really needed to know. If I'm throwing down 600 on a pair of boots, I think it's a reasonable expectation that if I take good care of them, they will still hold up after alot of wear.

Guess I'll pass on the cordovan!

yep, cordovan is both tacky looking and will look like crap after only a few wearings (10). please stay away, far far away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads