• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Please help me find a black brogue lace up boot

rxcowboy

Active Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
I'm in the market for a black wingtip/brogue lace up boot but I'm not that knowledgeable about boots and need help I'm looking for a black lace up boot with a wingtip/brogue pattern. As much as I'd like to say price isn't a factor, it is so I'd like to keep the cost under 600. Any help would be much obliged, thanks!
 

Curious_George

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
589
Reaction score
6
I've been looking for the same thing. Currently I have my eyes set on Tricker's Stow in black. Lots of good photos here, http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/de...ickers002.html Now I just need to figure out what size I need
edit: Alden AF85/AF72 are also great options. I'm looking for a bit more "clunky" which is why I'm looking at the Trickers, but I think those aldens are better if you want to dress them up.
 

rxcowboy

Active Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Curious_George
I've been looking for the same thing. Currently I have my eyes set on Tricker's Stow in black.

Lots of good photos here,

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/de...ickers002.html

Now I just need to figure out what size I need


edit: Alden AF85/AF72 are also great options. I'm looking for a bit more "clunky" which is why I'm looking at the Trickers, but I think those aldens are better if you want to dress them up.


Holy shit thanks mate, the 85s look just about *perfect* for what I was in the market for.

Now, can anyone anyone please tell me what's so special about cordovan leather and is it worth the price?
 

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2007
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
89
I third the Aldens. I picked up the AF88 - Dark Brown Calfskin Plain High Boot with Commando Sole - and I'm loving them. Adam was very helpful in helping me with sizing.
 

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,416
Reaction score
155
Originally Posted by rxcowboy
Now, can anyone anyone please tell me what's so special about cordovan leather and is it worth the price?
Shell cordovan comes from a horse's rear end - it's tanned differently than calf, and the result gives you a more shiny, water resistant leather. It creases differently as well, in that you won't get the same micro creases that develop on calf.
 

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
12,234
Reaction score
227
Originally Posted by rxcowboy
cordovan leather and is it worth the price?

imo, no it's not worth it. Obviously it's subjective as plenty of guys on here love the shit, but I'd rather have calf leather shoes, even if cordovan was the same price. Just not a fan of the plasticky look of cordovan and being the sort of fellow who likes to polish his shoes after every wear or two, cordovan not taking well to polish drives me nuts. (meaning, you arent supposed to polish cordovan more than a couple times/year otherwise the polish builds up on the leather and leaves it murky looking)
 

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
12,416
Reaction score
155
Originally Posted by Get Smart
imo, no it's not worth it. Obviously it's subjective as plenty of guys on here love the shit, but I'd rather have calf leather shoes, even if cordovan was the same price. Just not a fan of the plasticky look of cordovan and being the sort of fellow who likes to polish his shoes after every wear or two, cordovan not taking well to polish drives me nuts. (meaning, you arent supposed to polish cordovan more than a couple times/year otherwise the polish builds up on the leather and leaves it murky looking)
Plus, the shoes will look like crap after they get lots of wear.
 

rxcowboy

Active Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by robin
Plus, the shoes will look like crap after they get lots of wear.



Ah, this is what I really needed to know. If I'm throwing down 600 on a pair of boots, I think it's a reasonable expectation that if I take good care of them, they will still hold up after alot of wear.

Guess I'll pass on the cordovan!

For curiousity's sake, does anyone recommend a plain, black lace up boot that is more on the dressy/formal side?
 

delirium

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
394
Reaction score
4
i got some paul smith ones that are kinda chunky, wing tip, and pebble grain.
they're interesting imo, but you probably want something dressier and sleaker.

lots of good options on this thread.
 

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
1,001
Reaction score
9
Originally Posted by rxcowboy
Ah, this is what I really needed to know. If I'm throwing down 600 on a pair of boots, I think it's a reasonable expectation that if I take good care of them, they will still hold up after alot of wear.

Guess I'll pass on the cordovan!



yep, cordovan is both tacky looking and will look like crap after only a few wearings (10). please stay away, far far away.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,209
Messages
9,230,330
Members
193,757
Latest member
onsight
Top