• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Help Me Correct My "Denim Strategy"

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Hi,

I have one quick question and I know that many here are immensely experienced with jeans. I have a frequent problem with holes in the crotch area with my jeans. I have a 32 inch waist and 30 inch inseam, and do not buy slim fit jeans, however, I do have a little bit larger than normal (for my measurements) thighs and backside (probably from football, squats and all that).

My question is, if I buy 32 x 32 jeans and have them hemmed, will the longer inseams generally drop the crotch lower too, maybe giving me enough room and help me avoid holes in the crotch?

Or should I just buy larger waist (33?) and have those either altered or tighten my belt? Sorry for such a basic question. I searched crotch blow outs and couldn't find much relevant to my situation.

Thanks!
smile.gif

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the jeans you're probably buying fit you like a slim fits me. It's all relative. You are probably still buying a slim fit jean if you know what I mean.

Anyways, the different inseam doesn't make the crotch longer. The different waist size does because different waist sizes have different rise lengths and the rise length is what will determine how far down you could sag to have the crotch lower.

Imagine a very low rise diesel. You can't sag that crotch much because if you drop them further, you will show your stuff.

If you buy a higher rise jean, it allows you to drop them more and still have them at a reasonable spot on your hips.

I don't think you should let the crotch drop though because I personally think it looks better fitted properly. You just need to find a jean that is relaxed enough in that area so you are not putting too much stress on it. There's no reason why it should rip if there is not much stress.
You mentioned that your jeans' crotches rip without you wearing slim jeans but they have to be tight for this to be happening or else you are probably buying some **** quality jeans.

andrewwang

Reaction score
I have the exact same measurements as you and the larger thigh/butt thing. i would suggest sizing up and getting the pants hemmed. like the poster above said, a mid-rise (as opposed to a low rise) would allow you to drop the pants a little, and you might not even need to alter the waist that way.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
Well the jeans you're probably buying fit you like a slim fits me. It's all relative. You are probably still buying a slim fit jean if you know what I mean.

Anyways, the different inseam doesn't make the crotch longer. The different waist size does because different waist sizes have different rise lengths and the rise length is what will determine how far down you could sag to have the crotch lower.

Imagine a very low rise diesel. You can't sag that crotch much because if you drop them further, you will show your stuff.

If you buy a higher rise jean, it allows you to drop them more and still have them at a reasonable spot on your hips.

I don't think you should let the crotch drop though because I personally think it looks better fitted properly. You just need to find a jean that is relaxed enough in that area so you are not putting too much stress on it. There's no reason why it should rip if there is not much stress.
You mentioned that your jeans' crotches rip without you wearing slim jeans but they have to be tight for this to be happening or else you are probably buying some **** quality jeans.

Originally Posted by andrewwang
I have the exact same measurements as you and the larger thigh/butt thing. i would suggest sizing up and getting the pants hemmed. like the poster above said, a mid-rise (as opposed to a low rise) would allow you to drop the pants a little, and you might not even need to alter the waist that way.

Hey, thanks guys for your informative responses. Yes, my jeans do end up fitting like a slim fit (at least in the thighs and seat). And I do have to confess to overall ****** jean quality (Gap and a few Polo pairs mostly).

So if I am reading right, cldpsu, you are saying don't sag the crotch, just find a jean relaxed enough to relieve the stress. My questions are 1.) Are you suggesting that I do or do not increase the waist from 32 to 33 to accomplish this relaxed fit, and 2.) What brands would you suggest that might have what I am looking for?

Also, andrewwang, are you saying to go from 32x30 to 33x30 or 33x32? I thought that cldpsu was saying going longer won't do much good. Thoughts?

Thanks for you help and looking forward to hearing back from both of you and anyone else that can help!

P.s. I recently bought some seven for all mankind jeans (relaxed fit) as a gift (and they were most certainly purchased at deep discount thankfully). I have read a couple of posts debating the "douchery" of 7fam haha, so I know its not well respected here. They are, however, a wash that I approved of (not a lot of distressing or holes or anything) but the thing that I liked the most about them is that they have some stretch to them - the 2% elastyne or what have you. Anyways, they are being hemmed, but I am hoping that the stretch quality of them will help with my tearing problem. Plus, I don't plan on wearing them with afflicted t-shirts and kenneth coles so maybe that will make them acceptable. But I digress.

Thanks!

andrewwang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze

Also, andrewwang, are you saying to go from 32x30 to 33x30 or 33x32? I thought that cldpsu was saying going longer won't do much good. Thoughts?

Thanks for you help and looking forward to hearing back from both of you and anyone else that can help!

P.s. I recently bought some seven for all mankind jeans (relaxed fit) as a gift (and they were most certainly purchased at deep discount thankfully). I have read a couple of posts debating the "douchery" of 7fam haha, so I know its not well respected here. They are, however, a wash that I approved of (not a lot of distressing or holes or anything) but the thing that I liked the most about them is that they have some stretch to them - the 2% elastyne or what have you. Anyways, they are being hemmed, but I am hoping that the stretch quality of them will help with my tearing problem. Plus, I don't plan on wearing them with afflicted t-shirts and kenneth coles so maybe that will make them acceptable. But I digress.

Thanks!

You can try to get some jeans in 33x30, but i dont know many brands that offer those measurements. what i meant is that if you will most likely get a 33 with a longer inseam than 30, so thats where the hemming comes in.

Also, the 7FAMs will definitely help with the blowout problem. theyre generally very comfy (albeit not top quality) and will not resist or stress at those points as much. I somewhat disagree with other forum members that all sevens are bad.. I also bought a pair for very cheap and am satisfied with what I paid for.

Cali

Reaction score
It might also be important to note that higher quality jeans with stronger fabric and stitching would hold up better. Many of the Japanese repros have higher rises and might fix your problem while still fitting at the waist. Depends on how much you are willing to spend, but Gordon at BiG or Kiya at SE could hook you up with some serious denim that would fit the bill.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Like I said earlier, I'd like to thank everyone who posted here. After reading your posts and lurking the streetwear forum, I ordered a pair of APC Rescues in size 30 (I wear 32 in my other jeans). I figured the tougher, higher quality denim might help out with the blowouts, and plus I wanted to see what the all the "hoopla" of raw denim was all about.

Let me just say that I think they are great so far. These are the nicest pair of denim I have ever owned although that might not be saying much.

With that said, when I first tried the rescues on, my first thought was that they must have been mistagged New Standards. They were the tightest fitting jeans I've ever tried on. But, I do realize that people have different body types and that the jeans will stretch tremendously.

I've included some pics below.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I think you were experiencing problems because you were buying **** quality denim. The rescues look great on you and will probably hold out longer than anything you have had before.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
^^

So after a day or two these things really stretched out, just like everyone has already said ( go figure). I must admit that I was a little skeptical about whether they would ever be comfortable or not, but it looks like that has now been answered. They might be even a little too "comfortable" and I might order my next pair in a 29 instead of 30. Only time will tell.

Thanks everyone.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I think you were experiencing problems because you were buying **** quality denim. The rescues look great on you and will probably hold out longer than anything you have had before.

True that. I cannot stress enough for people like me with little to no experience with nice jeans how much of a difference it is. My advice is to splurge a little and get at least one pair of nice quality denim.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long post I deleted by accident and do not care to repeat.

In short, raw will wear quick in the crotch. I never had crotch wear until raw, high abrasion. If you fix fit, replace with raw, you may get crotch wear for this other reason.

APC will blow out just as fast as any other brand.

buttonman

Reaction score
i hear crotch blow outs occur mostly when you wear them really tight or if you wear your pants really low, or both

if you're careful i'm sure you can avoid it. as long as you don't do tae kwon do in them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads