• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me by critiquing the heck out of this suit

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear SF members,

This was originally going to be a "please help me figure out how to fix this flaw with my new jacket" but then I decided just to open the floor up to full-on critique.

That being said, I'm aware of 2 things (among others) already that I plan to rectify:
1) the pants are too long. I plan to shorten them by about, oh, an inch or so.
2) the sleeves are too long. I went with a 40L because I feel the longer overall length looks good on me, since I have a naturally long torso. If you disagree with this belief, please tell me why.

One last thing. I took the last photo to show the flaw I mentioned earlier, which is that the shoulder appears to have a "bump" of some kind. I've seen this before when suits are hung on a hanger too long or in bad environmental conditions, and stretch so the jacket looks kinda like a mole has tunneled under my shoulder. Can a tailor fix this, or shall I exchange this OTR jacket for a different one without the flaw?

thanks so very much for your input!

DSC_9347.jpg

DSC_9348.jpg

DSC_9352.jpg

DSC_9353.jpg

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
There isn't much need to go in to detail. Overall, it is too large.

Robertito

Reaction score
I think a shorter jacket would be more flattering on you.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the long actually elongates your torso. I'd try a regular. And the pants are doing some weird equestrian thing in the back.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulders are fine but the jacket looks very big in the chest, the quarters are waaaaay too closed (and the rear vent looks still shut).

tobinbridge

Reaction score
The jacket looks like a Long and not in name alone. I would try a R

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
All points lead to a suit that is a size or two larger for you.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Take the bump to a tailor who actually knows how clothes are made. I have no idea what he'd say, but it might just be a pressing thing, or easily fixed with a little surgery.

Jacket is a bit long (and can be shortened--expensively) but is not too big. The chest is already gapping a little, and that is presumably not while you're inhaling. That is a bugaboo of mine, though, and not easily addressed without shopping for bespoke tailors.

tps16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I think the long actually elongates your torso. I'd try a regular. And the pants are doing some weird equestrian thing in the back.

The closed quarters seem to be exaggerating the lengthening effect as well. You should definitely try a regular.

thereader

Reaction score
Im no expert, here is my opinion:
The jaket is too long, you could go with a regular. The shoulder fit seems fine the waist could be take in a little bit. THe upper legs looks wierd, may be because the pants are hang too long?

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, everybody so far.

I noticed some of these issues for the first time upon seeing these photos. I'm not sure what part of the problems are there because i haven't pressed the suit since it came in the mail (in a box) and what has to do with fit.

Yes, I want more waist suppression and much more open quarters. And yes, the vent is still closed, since I've been evaluating the suit to possibly return it (I know I could open the vent and still return it).

The 38 of this particular brand is too small (I've tried it), and this fits in the shoulders, though the waist is pretty lame, I agree.

So I suppose I will exchange this for the 40R and probably either exchange the pants for a shorter length or have them shortened (whichever is easiest/free).

Thanks for your responses!

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants fit like jodphurs. There is something way-wrong with the size of them. How are they in the waist? They are also several inches too long (at least 3).

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How high are you wearing the pants. You may just need to pull them up in the back.

The jacket makes you look very out of proportion. You should definitely try the R and perhaps size down.

Good luck!

killercars

Reaction score
It's hard to tell that much with the pants - I would have to see it without the jacket on. My hunch is that you need to downsize to a regular as the jacket clearly is too big in the chest.

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HasiburRahman