1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Please help match pocket square to outfit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by artdeco73, Jun 1, 2004.

1. artdeco73

artdeco73 Well-Known Member

Greetings,

I was hoping someone could offer advice on matching a pocket square to an outfit. I know it is not supposed to match the main color or the pattern of the tie, but what *should* it match? I actually have never worn one before, seeing as I feel that they are overkill for business occasions and I almost never get to dress up for social occasions. But I'd like to try it. The occasion is an informal, daytime indoor wedding. I am wearing: navy-blue blazer, brown pants (darker than tan; I think the official name of the color is "taupe"), dark brown shoes, white shirt (straight collar), medium red tie with a simple, small-scale light-blue geometric pattern. Should the pocket square be light blue, to match the secondary color of the tie? Off-white (like a natural linen color), or would it be too close to the white of the shirt and clash? Something else entirely? Or is a pocket square not appropriate for this outfit/occasion at all?

Thank you all in advance for your insight.

Best Regards,
    Tony

2. Phil

Phil Senior member

Im of the opinion that a pocket square is always appropriate. As for what color, the possibilities are many. I think the most well dressed men are the ones that dont put a ton of time into making everything match perfectly. Pocket squares are meant to be kind of jaunty, and trying to get them to match the outfit, to me at least, defeats the whole purpose. Therefore, with the outfit you have described, you could wear just about anything red, white, blue, tan, etc.