• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help a tall guy

need_jackets

Reaction score
I am 6'6. Pretty good shape. I cant find sport coats/Blazers with a contemporary look (2 button, tapered etc). Can someone educate me where to find sizes with a modern look. 50-52 X-Long.

If I am looking for a seamstress what do i look or ask for ? Where do i start? it seem like the seamstresses i have found mostly do curtains

Any stores not named rochester clothing that could help?

Im in Los Angeles

Hoofit

Reaction score
I am 6'7" and also find is difficult to get jackets. 50-52 XL is huge. If you are in good shape you may want to look at a 46-48 XL. What you want to find is a tailor who is capable of making alterations on a 46-48 L. I have found that if you can get a jacket with room in the sleeves, you can make a Long work. I would look at BB and RLBL. Rochester also has some high end stuff in sizes that will work as well. You aren't going to find much dirt cheap, if you have the money go MTM.

82-Greg

Reaction score
You best bet is probably made-to-measure (MTM). Most big and tall stores focus on the big side of the business. Even with MTM, some companies won't service very big or very tall for various excuses.

If you end up going to one of the various visiting Asian tailors (some of which are very good I understand), you need to do your research.

CrocsRock

Reaction score
I'm 6'8" but only 220lbs, which means I fit the 'tall' bill, but not so much the 'big'. Sadly, MTM seems to be the best route for most of us who fit this sort of physical shape (obscenely tall, but ever so svelte), and even then you won't find that every place will cater to taller folk.

Since I'm at that point again where I need to go over much of my wardrobe and begin replacing things, this time around, I will be looking at my MTM options and costs. It seems as though it may be more expensive, but I'm more liable to wind up with something that not only fits, but that I actually like wearing (as I'm sure the other tall-but-not-big guys will agree that big and tall clothing tends to look pretty terrible).

Speaking of, does anyone know of a good online MTM dealer that handles tall sizes particularly well, or that specializes in such work (I'm contemplating a Jantzen try, but given their hit-or-miss reputation, would prefer something a little more certain, even if it's more than 50 bucks)?

need_jackets

Reaction score
we all seem to be in similar boat. The big problem is look. I like the fitted 2 button coats with side or center vents. So even with mtm they tend to be more classic as oppose to modern.

ferry1950

Reaction score
At 6 foot 5" 225lbs., I have been doing custom and MTM for about 20 + years.
Luckly, I have local options here in Richmond, Va. that provide great service, options and value.
I end up buying shoes (14) and xl ties on line. My advice is to find a local tailor/mens shop and work exclusively with them to find the right style and pricing to meet your needs.
In L. A. where do the basketball players get their stuff made??

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I am also a 50XL. Thus far, I have just bought suit seperates because my drop is significant that regular OTR rarely fits. Look for "Athletic Fit" suits as well. They have more room in the shoulders but have a greater drop. My best fitting suit is a 48XL Athletic.

I plan on going the MTM route for my next suit. I am in the profession where suits are a must, but I am new enough that I don't have much money stacked up.

I looked into MTM a couple of weeks ago and I saw that for 48XL and up there was an additional 15% charge, I assume for the increase in materials. Is this common? The place I went was arguably the best men's store in town but if they are working me over I would rather go some place else.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by need_jackets
I am 6'6. Pretty good shape. I cant find sport coats/Blazers with a contemporary look (2 button, tapered etc). Can someone educate me where to find sizes with a modern look. 50-52 X-Long.

If I am looking for a seamstress what do i look or ask for ? Where do i start? it seem like the seamstresses i have found mostly do curtains

Any stores not named rochester clothing that could help?

Im in Los Angeles

Also, you might want to check out Ebay. It won't work if you are one who refuses to buy used jackets, but I have scored a couple nice jackets off of there. It takes a lot of patience but every once in a while a big guy like us either retires or dies and doesn't need his business gear any more.

Hoofit

Reaction score
Just found a site that does MTM on at very reasonable prices. studiosuits dotcom I have not used them yet, but am looking to order a linen suit for $99. Something to look into.

Cid

Reaction score
I'm 6'4" (~200lbs and ~35" waist) and have no problems with size 42R/L suits and jackets. My brother is a heftier 6'6" and gets into 44Ls pretty easily OTR. If you're in decent shape and not weirdly proportioned, it just seems like there should be plenty of OTR stuff out there for you.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6'4" 245 here and I fit in 44L Polo II perfectly sans alteration. I recall seeing many items offered here on B&S recently where regulars were measuring with 27+" sleeves and longs at 28+. Look for those items and you will find which brands make stuff for the long.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hoofit
Just found a site that does MTM on at very reasonable prices. studiosuits dotcom I have not used them yet, but am looking to order a linen suit for $99. Something to look into.

Make sure you mention how it goes if you go for it.

ktrp

Reaction score
Maxwell's tailors will be swinging through L.A. on feb 9th. I've used them, the stuff fit well, although I will ask for higher armholes and a little more waist suppression next time. That's relative to SF standards (I didn't specify anything last time). As far as I can tell, their stuff is hand cut (not off a standard pattern) but on the flip side is fused. I can't vouch for them being the best option, but it is an option anyway. They measure you there, make the garments in hong kong and mail them to you, which takes 10 weeks or so. I'd guess you might be looking at 350-400 for a jacket. They tend to use packages, i.e. for more like 700 you get two pairs of wool pants, 3 shirts and a jacket.

Smartalox

Reaction score
+1 on the MTM, and the classic style.

I am 6'4", 250 with an 8 inch drop. Since I started MTM, I've not gone back. I'm starting to look at MTM for shirts too.

good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads