• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help a newbie: what tie would you wear with these two shirts?

appellant108

Reaction score
I bought these two shirts but am unsure about what ties to wear with them. I assume something solid? How about colors?

I would be wearing either a dark gray or black suit jacket over it.

Thank you for any advice!!

241881_NAVY_1.jpeg
241880_NAVY_7.jpeg

JackEst3

Reaction score
In my opinion, these kinds of shirts are too dark to be worn with a tie. The standard combination of a dark jacket, light shirt and dark tie looks almost always more appropriate and flattering, because they provide the necessary contrast and visual interest.

In fact, I think both of those shirt patterns might look quite nice as tie patterns.

Dark dress shirts are more casual, meaning they should be worn without a tie and usually without a jacket as well. They also don't provide the necessary contrast with any tie.

For wearing with a suit and tie, I recommend getting light dress shirts in white and light blue, solid or with a small striped pattern.

appellant108

Reaction score
Thank you guys. That's a lot of really great information and makes sense. Appreciate it.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
In addition to the color, consider:
  • the pattern. Dressy shirts have simple or classic patterns, so a unique pattern is often a sign that a shirt is casual.
  • The weave. The first one here, at least, looks like it might be a jacquard. That's generally a casual weave.
  • The cut. If it's cut to wear untucked, it's strictly casual.
Also, I generally would not recommend wearing a tie without a layer above it -- blazer, sweater, etc.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask Ted, he had the things made

Featured Sponsor

What is your preferred frame style for men's sunglasses?

• Aviator

• Wayfarer

• Clubmaster

• Round

• Wrap-around

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tikky