Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Please give me your opinion on these Brooks Brothers glen plaid odd jackets.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SolarPlex, Aug 31, 2016.

1. SolarPlex

SolarPlex New Member

I managed to pick both of these recent Brooks Brothers odd jackets at Goodwill for next to nothing.

I did a search on glen plaid odd jackets and apparently it is a contentious subject. A lot of people were saying glen plaid doesn't work well as an odd jacket. See this thread.

My concern is that the first jacket looks a bit too much like a suit jacket. Its very well made Jacket though (fully canvassed, E Thomas 130's). The second jacket is a flannel in a larger pattern and I think it's really nice for 7 bucks. I'm trying to decide if they are worth the cost of getting them altered, as both require some minor alterations.

I'm also trying to figure out what pants would work best with these. I can't think of much besides charcoal flannel trousers. I would appreciate your thoughts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016

2. heldentenor

heldentenor Distinguished Member

This never got answered, evidently. Your instincts are correct--the first looks pretty close to (might be?) an orphaned suit jacket, but the second is nice and worth a bit of tailoring investment.

For trousers, charcoal or cream/light brown/winter white should all work okay.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

3. WhereNext

WhereNext Senior Member

I wouldn't object to either of those being worn as odd jackets, though I think reasonable people could disagree on that. I so rarely see glen plaid/PoW check suits around (and that may just be that I don't work in a suit wearing profession) that I think most people nowadays would think of that type of pattern as not being very suit-ish (again, it might just be me, but I don't recall seeing a whole lot of people on the street wearing suits other than plain or pin/chalk stripe).
    I would agree with the trouser recommendations above and also add shades of blue as good options. Blue trousers with an odd jacket are a bit contentious on Style Forum, but I think they can be a very good look with jackets like those.

4. crdb

crdb Distinguished Member

I wore that exact glen plaid to a concert a friend was performing in, with odd trousers (I unfortunately no longer fit the suit's trousers). He pretended not to know me.

Honestly I've never managed to make it work and will be following this thread in case someone has good suggestions. I do like the damn thing.

5. Marsay

Marsay Senior Member

To be clear, it's not simply about some styfodude in the street telling all your ladyfriends that your jacket is a suit orphan. Small patterns - patterns that resolve to solids at a distance - tend not to look great on an odd jacket. The exception (if you consider it a pattern) is herringbone, probably because it can resolve to quite a dark colour, whereas something like glen plaid resolves to a muddyish light grey that won't produce a clean contrast with the odd trousers.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016

6. J o s h

J o s h Senior Member

The jacket with the larger bolder pattern might look good with dark blue jeans.