Please explain the rolled up cuff to me

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AutoX, Dec 23, 2010.

1. AutoX

AutoX Active Member

Maybe I'm behind on the trends, but I'm noticing a TON of you guys wearing the bottom of your jeans and even slacks rolled up. What's the theory behind this? The new style?

I've always been wearing light boot cuts and just have them altered/hemmed to fit. The only time I use to wear the legs folded up was in middle school when I didn't know better, and my pants were way to long.

What am I missing? Amserious.

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

What do you mean, "explain" it to you? What does that mean? Some people like it so they do it.

3. AutoX

AutoX Active Member

I meant if there's any back story to it, or people do it to show off their socks, just because, etc

4. UserName84

UserName84 Senior member

Maybe I'm behind on the trends

By about 50 years or so

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I meant if there's any back story to it, or people do it to show off their socks, just because, etc
    It actually goes back many years to the famous story of Paul Bunyan. If you recall, he was a really tall chap and he always had trouble buying jeans because they were too short for him. Then one day he stumbled upon a Magic Tailor who was trapped underneath a pile of boulders. He saved the tailor, who then gave him one wish. Paul wished for "a longer pair or jeans! Dammit!". The tailor complied. However, as with all wishes, one must be careful for what wishes for and the tailor actually gave Paul a pair of jeans that were much too long, and he had to resort to rolling them up to make sure they fit. As Paul was a huge celebrity back in the day it was a fad that caught on and has been with us ever since.

6. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

It actually goes back many years to the famous story of Paul Bunyan. If you recall, he was a really tall chap and he always had trouble buying jeans because they were too short for him. Then one day he stumbled upon a Magic Tailor who was trapped underneath a pile of boulders. He saved the tailor, who then gave him one wish. Paul wished for "a longer pair or jeans! Dammit!". The tailor complied. However, as with all wishes, one must be careful for what wishes for and the tailor actually gave Paul a pair of jeans that were much too long, and he had to resort to rolling them up to make sure they fit. As Paul was a huge celebrity back in the day it was a fad that caught on and has been with us ever since.

LOL. I can't stop laughing. Well written!

7. Lane

Lane Senior member

i think we need further theorizing over this new discovery

8. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Maybe I'm behind on the trends, but I'm noticing a TON of you guys wearing the bottom of your jeans and even slacks rolled up. What's the theory behind this? The new style?

I've always been wearing light boot cuts and just have them altered/hemmed to fit. The only time I use to wear the legs folded up was in middle school when I didn't know better, and my pants were way to long.

What am I missing? Amserious.

With wider cuts, some people cuff the hems to keep the bottom of the leg from looking flared, but if you are wearing boot cuts, obviously the flare doesn't bother you.

9. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Cuffing is also a way to get jeans to drape better, before all the shrinkage is out. So, some people wear cuffed, untill they lost all length that is to be lost after washing and then decide to hem them.

10. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

LOL. I can't stop laughing. Well written!

+1000

11. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

It's to show off your salvage.

12. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

The only time I use to wear the legs folded up was in middle school when I didn't know better, and my pants were way to long.

That's the spirit! Someone's got to keep that idea current and in distribution. Otherwise all the cuffers are just going to -know- they are cool; if we keep repeating that, they'll have that shred of doubt that will gnaw at them from the inside out.

13. Wess

Wess Well-Known Member

It's to show off your salvage.

No one actually cares.

14. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

No one actually cares.

Actually, other denim nerds will love it and give you a nod of approval.

I don't wear selvage denim, but I do cuff/roll up my other denim.

15. Ritchee

Ritchee Senior member

[​IMG]

The Rolled Up Cuff Crew