• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Please explain the rolled up cuff to me

AutoX

Active Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Maybe I'm behind on the trends, but I'm noticing a TON of you guys wearing the bottom of your jeans and even slacks rolled up. What's the theory behind this? The new style?

I've always been wearing light boot cuts and just have them altered/hemmed to fit. The only time I use to wear the legs folded up was in middle school when I didn't know better, and my pants were way to long.

What am I missing? Amserious.
 

AutoX

Active Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I meant if there's any back story to it, or people do it to show off their socks, just because, etc
 

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
33,512
Reaction score
12,028
Originally Posted by AutoX
I meant if there's any back story to it, or people do it to show off their socks, just because, etc
It actually goes back many years to the famous story of Paul Bunyan. If you recall, he was a really tall chap and he always had trouble buying jeans because they were too short for him. Then one day he stumbled upon a Magic Tailor who was trapped underneath a pile of boulders. He saved the tailor, who then gave him one wish. Paul wished for "a longer pair or jeans! Dammit!". The tailor complied. However, as with all wishes, one must be careful for what wishes for and the tailor actually gave Paul a pair of jeans that were much too long, and he had to resort to rolling them up to make sure they fit. As Paul was a huge celebrity back in the day it was a fad that caught on and has been with us ever since.
 

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
1,548
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It actually goes back many years to the famous story of Paul Bunyan. If you recall, he was a really tall chap and he always had trouble buying jeans because they were too short for him. Then one day he stumbled upon a Magic Tailor who was trapped underneath a pile of boulders. He saved the tailor, who then gave him one wish. Paul wished for "a longer pair or jeans! Dammit!". The tailor complied. However, as with all wishes, one must be careful for what wishes for and the tailor actually gave Paul a pair of jeans that were much too long, and he had to resort to rolling them up to make sure they fit. As Paul was a huge celebrity back in the day it was a fad that caught on and has been with us ever since.

LOL. I can't stop laughing. Well written!
 

Lane

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2010
Messages
5,253
Reaction score
784
i think we need further theorizing over this new discovery
 

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2010
Messages
1,573
Reaction score
16
Originally Posted by AutoX
Maybe I'm behind on the trends, but I'm noticing a TON of you guys wearing the bottom of your jeans and even slacks rolled up. What's the theory behind this? The new style?

I've always been wearing light boot cuts and just have them altered/hemmed to fit. The only time I use to wear the legs folded up was in middle school when I didn't know better, and my pants were way to long.

What am I missing? Amserious.


With wider cuts, some people cuff the hems to keep the bottom of the leg from looking flared, but if you are wearing boot cuts, obviously the flare doesn't bother you.
 

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2009
Messages
1,015
Reaction score
119
Cuffing is also a way to get jeans to drape better, before all the shrinkage is out. So, some people wear cuffed, untill they lost all length that is to be lost after washing and then decide to hem them.
 

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2008
Messages
2,492
Reaction score
94
Originally Posted by AutoX
The only time I use to wear the legs folded up was in middle school when I didn't know better, and my pants were way to long.

That's the spirit! Someone's got to keep that idea current and in distribution. Otherwise all the cuffers are just going to -know- they are cool; if we keep repeating that, they'll have that shred of doubt that will gnaw at them from the inside out.
 

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 26, 2009
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
22
Originally Posted by Wess
No one actually cares.

Actually, other denim nerds will love it and give you a nod of approval.


I don't wear selvage denim, but I do cuff/roll up my other denim.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,097
Messages
9,191,964
Members
193,052
Latest member
William Nigh

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top