Please explain 3rd wave coffee to me

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Feb 20, 2013.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

abraco pours a fairly acidic shot. at least the barista did when i went there.

i haven't had intelli, handsome, ritual, etc in awhile, but gimmee's leftist and piccolo mondo (esp leftist) have great roundness, richness, fullness with a nice acidic backdrop.

i think it's a backlash from the starbucks burn everything to shit extreme. no doubt the trend will shift again

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I did not have one bad cup of coffee in rome/florence. WIsh I could say the same about NJ. I'm not a coffee snob, since i don't give a shit which mountain it came from, I just want to it be drinkable which seems like a nearly impossible quest.

I've resigned myself to starbucks k-cups. :embar: Which I find actually turn out alot better than buying the coffee already brewed at starbucks.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

SField I have nothing to add other than it is good to have you posting again.

Also, that place I told you about in Atlanta is shutting down March 30. Apparently the women who cooks there (chef is far too haute) is having her honeymoon in Ireland so she's quitting and they're going down with her. As it were.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I kind of enjoy reading about others fighting over minutiae of the English language that absolutely no other human beings care about.

5. SField

SField Senior member

When I'm in France I'm either with family that is local or with food people, so we don't ever get bad coffee. There are quite a few 3 star french restaurants however that serve Illy, which is why I don't get coffee at such places. Bernardin is an example in the US.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

y so serious

7. SField

SField Senior member

I'm in NY about 2-3 times a month and Abraco is a daily thing for me, and I haven't experienced it. They definitely use a lot of coffee but I find it is usually well balanced and rich. I don't like much acidity in my coffee. I don't get milk stuff at Abraco. For that I prefer Third Rail.

Abraco usually uses Stumptown hair bender.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Dude, what I mean is that coffee in France is mediocre/good in most places, it's the same in an average café and a 3 star restaurant, fine by me but americans coffee slobs would be disgusted. Italian coffee is just a lot better.

9. SField

SField Senior member

ehh if you've had the kind of coffee that is average in america, I'd say it is well below the french standard. France isn't a coffee place like Italy/Australia/New Zealand, but its base line is streets better than what you get in america. American coffee snobs usually are uncultured and have very few reference points. You talk to them about food and they are clueless. I have not met one of them whose palate I respect, and in LA especially, I've had lengthy conversations with the real "cream of the crop." Their idea of superlative food is Umami burger and Michael Voltaggio.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I generally think people who use the word "umami" should have their tongues cut out.

11. SField

SField Senior member

I had the great misfortune of being at one of these jerk off food and wine events full of bloggers and people who somehow found a job writing about food, and it's amazing how many of these dumpy women would say "O, I'm getting that real mushroomie umami now," and all her bovine comrades would validate her with other food blogging platitudes.

It was that moment that I decided to not be involved with food professionally anymore.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

real mushroomie umami

ojfc

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  13. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

It gets a little tedious but it pays the bills.

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Percent chance you have a knife for just such a purpose: 98 +/- 2

15. SField

SField Senior member

O yeah?

Here's some other treasures.

"Ducky"

"Piggy"