• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please don't haze the new guy!

GQ-TKE

Reaction score
What's up guys, I just recently discovered this site while scouring through a few fashion tip sites. So, being the obvious "new guy on the block" are there any do's or dont's I should know about before I make myself look like an ass? Also, what kind or color suit should not be worn to a "meet your new company" kind of meeting, any tips or suggestions?

Jofaile

Reaction score
Top three colors not to be worn in a business meeting or interview:

3.) Olive Green (I own one, I love it, I wear it all the time to church with a nice medium blue shirt and silver tie but, nonetheless, it is not appropriate)

2.) Light Gray (may look good in a club atmosphere but still too casual looking for a meeting)

1.) Beige or Tan (Never, and I mean never, wear a suit of this color to a meeting of any sorts, no matter how casual the work place)

As for tips, you would have to be more specific seeing is there are literally thousands that could be listed that may not be relevant to you in the least.

GQ-TKE

Reaction score
Okay, say I go with the solid black, 3-button suit, what would be the perfect shirt/tie combo. I am willing to find and buy what I don't already have to make this perfect. Cole-Haan, silver buckled black shoes, or Banana Rep. black w/2 hole laces?

Jofaile

Reaction score
Go with a white straight point collar dress shirt (DKNY, Express, Perry Ellis; those are not terribly expensive), a silver or light gray monotone stitched or striped pattern tie (Meeting Street, Daltryn, Nautica; also not terribly expensive), with the silver buckled shoes.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I am going to have to respectfully disagree. For a business meeting, stay with lace-up shoes, NOT monk-straps. Monk straps are more casual (and are starting to go out of style). A classis lace-up shoe goes perfect with suits. Just don't get too chunky of a heal.

Remember, the make or break accessory for a guy is his shoes.

PConsultant

Reaction score
I agree with GQ Lawyer about the monkstraps - they are too casual, especially for a "meet the company" meeting. When it comes to the color of the suit, I wouldn't wear a solid black suit. It's very formal and may look a little too severe. I prefer a navy blue or dark gray - it's conservative but sharp-looking, especially when worn with the right shirt, tie, *and* shoes
biggrin.gif

Europe's Finest

Reaction score
@ GQ Lawyer: You said that shoes are VERY important and I definitely agree wit you. So tell me, do you like black leather-shoes from BOSS? I'm thinking about buying a pair.
confused.gif

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
Boss has some nice leather shoes depending on the style.

I am a big fan of Feragamo and Bally leathers. But, for the money, Boss is more trendy/stylish.

Europe's Finest

Reaction score
Thanx Lawyer.

But one more question: What do you mean by "for the money"? I thought they're all about the same price.?

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I may stand corrected depending on the style of shoes, but I have found that Bally shoes tend to be $350 - $500, Ferragamos right around the same price range, and Boss shoes around $150 - $300.

I know that I paid $375 for my Ferragamo cap-toes, but only $175 for my Boss'.  I have my heart set on these $400 Bally chelsea boots, but my budget won't allow them at this point (I just shelled out way too much for my honeymoon and am not broke.).

discoweasel

Reaction score
Some good advice as to the shoes. Conservative classic lace ups don't go out of style.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, say I go with the solid black, 3-button suit, what would be the perfect shirt/tie combo. I am willing to find and buy what I don't already have to make this perfect. Cole-Haan, silver buckled black shoes, or Banana Rep. black w/2 hole laces?

Never black, that was omitted from the list of 'don'ts'.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with GQ Lawyer about the monkstraps - they are too casual, especially for a "meet the company" meeting. When it comes to the color of the suit, I wouldn't wear a solid black suit. It's very formal and may look a little too severe. I prefer a navy blue or dark gray - it's conservative but sharp-looking, especially when worn with the right shirt, tie, *and* shoes
biggrin.gif

Clean shoes are the essential, other styles won't raise any comments in the twenty first century

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads