• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Critique

BarePaw

Reaction score
This suit was given to me. The shirt and tie are mine. Could you please critique this outfit? Thanks.
263631107oUJfWR_ph.jpg
263632212ilCOSN_ph.jpg
If you can't tell from my poor photography, the suit is a dark blue, and the shirt is light blue with a white collar, the tie has tiny blue flowers and silver dots on a black background. The suit brand is Bendetti.

BarePaw

Reaction score

acole

Reaction score
I get: Forbidden You don't have permission to access /32/3/22/12/263632212ilCOSN_ph.jpg on this server. Maybe try ImageShack? I've never come across a Bendetti, but as they appear to retail in the low-to-mid $200s, I wouldn't hold my breath wrt construction, etc.

dietcookie

Reaction score
Refresh the page when you get the forbidden message and it should pop right up.

Edit: Sorry not refresh, but once you got the forbidden screen up, just highlight the text in your url box and hit enter again (or just copy and paste the link back into the box)..

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems okay -- hard to tell just hanging there. I don't care for the color contrast of black suit, white collar and French blue shirt though.

bch

Reaction score
A little too edgy or young for my taste. I don't like the contrasting collar, and I would prefer a different color tie. Blue on blue on blue seems too much. It's not terrible, but to my eye, it seems like something someone who does not regularly wear business attire, e.g. a college student or very young professional, might put together.

Please don't take offense. I tend to see everything through the prism of what is appropriate for the the office, which I have found to be appropriate dress for everything else I do that requires wearing a coat and tie. Maybe I'm being too closed minded.

Where are you intending to wear this?

BarePaw

Reaction score
it seems like something someone who does not regularly wear business attire, e.g. a college student or very young professional, might put together.
That's me.
biggrin.gif
No offense taken. Those are the kind of comments I was looking for. I was thinking of using it for job interviews at a pharmacy internship fair.

bch

Reaction score
(bch @ Jan. 31 2005,15:33) it seems like something someone who does not regularly wear business attire, e.g. a college student or very young professional, might put together.
That's me.
biggrin.gif
No offense taken. Those are the kind of comments I was looking for. I was thinking of using it for job interviews at a pharmacy internship fair.
Alright, then. Glad you took no offense. I re-read my post and thought maybe I was too hard on you. I think you made a common mistake that young men make when they start wearing business clothes. I know I did. But to anyone old enough to be hiring, it doesn't make a good impression, which is all you should care about. Dress for the interviewer, not yourself. I would STRONGLY suggest a plain white shirt that fits properly. Light blue would be second best and your only viable option. French blue, like you have, is very much not good. Absolutely no contrasting collars or cuffs. You can keep the tie, I think, though it's hard to tell from the photo whether it's shiny. If so, get another. Best to go with a small print or stripes on the tie. Suit seems fine for your purpose. At least you didn't make the classic mistake of getting your first suit in black. Good luck.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This suit was given to me. The shirt and tie are mine. Could you please critique this outfit? Thanks.
263631107oUJfWR_ph.jpg
263632212ilCOSN_ph.jpg
If you can't tell from my poor photography, the suit is a dark blue, and the shirt is light blue with a white collar, the tie has tiny blue flowers and silver dots on a black background. The suit brand is Bendetti.
I like it It would be better with a lighter shirt or a striped tie with red or orange.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White collar is better on striped shirts.

On a plain one it is rather useless.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Assuming it all fits properly, it's not that bad. You could easily do better, though. With a similar suit, I would wear a perfectly fitting white shirt with spread collar (my Polo Philip would be the best I have right now, unfortunately, but it's still pretty nice) and my dark purple/blue Bally tie, and call it a day. Just changing the shirt out to white should make this look plenty good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics