Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Please Critique

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BarePaw, Jan 31, 2005.

1. BarePaw

BarePaw Active Member

This suit was given to me. The shirt and tie are mine. Could you please critique this outfit? Thanks. [​IMG] [​IMG] If you can't tell from my poor photography, the suit is a dark blue, and the shirt is light blue with a white collar, the tie has tiny blue flowers and silver dots on a black background. The suit brand is Bendetti.

2. BarePaw

BarePaw Active Member

3. acole

acole Senior member

I get: Forbidden You don't have permission to access /32/3/22/12/263632212ilCOSN_ph.jpg on this server. Maybe try ImageShack? I've never come across a Bendetti, but as they appear to retail in the low-to-mid $200s, I wouldn't hold my breath wrt construction, etc.

4. dietcookie

dietcookie Senior member

Refresh the page when you get the forbidden message and it should pop right up.

Edit: Sorry not refresh, but once you got the forbidden screen up, just highlight the text in your url box and hit enter again (or just copy and paste the link back into the box)..

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Yeah, couldn't get it to work either.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

Seems okay -- hard to tell just hanging there. I don't care for the color contrast of black suit, white collar and French blue shirt though.

7. bch

bch Senior member

A little too edgy or young for my taste. I don't like the contrasting collar, and I would prefer a different color tie. Blue on blue on blue seems too much. It's not terrible, but to my eye, it seems like something someone who does not regularly wear business attire, e.g. a college student or very young professional, might put together.

Please don't take offense. I tend to see everything through the prism of what is appropriate for the the office, which I have found to be appropriate dress for everything else I do that requires wearing a coat and tie. Maybe I'm being too closed minded.

Where are you intending to wear this?

8. BarePaw

BarePaw Active Member

That's me. [​IMG] No offense taken. Those are the kind of comments I was looking for. I was thinking of using it for job interviews at a pharmacy internship fair.

9. bch

bch Senior member

(bch @ Jan. 31 2005,15:33) it seems like something someone who does not regularly wear business attire, e.g. a college student or very young professional, might put together.
    That's me. [​IMG] No offense taken. Those are the kind of comments I was looking for. I was thinking of using it for job interviews at a pharmacy internship fair.
    Alright, then. Glad you took no offense. I re-read my post and thought maybe I was too hard on you. I think you made a common mistake that young men make when they start wearing business clothes. I know I did. But to anyone old enough to be hiring, it doesn't make a good impression, which is all you should care about. Dress for the interviewer, not yourself. I would STRONGLY suggest a plain white shirt that fits properly. Light blue would be second best and your only viable option. French blue, like you have, is very much not good. Absolutely no contrasting collars or cuffs. You can keep the tie, I think, though it's hard to tell from the photo whether it's shiny. If so, get another. Best to go with a small print or stripes on the tie. Suit seems fine for your purpose. At least you didn't make the classic mistake of getting your first suit in black. Good luck.

10. ernest

ernest Senior member

I like it It would be better with a lighter shirt or a striped tie with red or orange.

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

White collar is better on striped shirts.

On a plain one it is rather useless.

12. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Assuming it all fits properly, it's not that bad. You could easily do better, though. With a similar suit, I would wear a perfectly fitting white shirt with spread collar (my Polo Philip would be the best I have right now, unfortunately, but it's still pretty nice) and my dark purple/blue Bally tie, and call it a day. Just changing the shirt out to white should make this look plenty good.