• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique the fit of this sportcoat

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something I've noticed is how good you all are at doing this. Brooks Brothers Regent 1818 Sportcoat that i picked up today for 50% off. I was a little unsure, still am. My girlfriend, thought it was probably too small when i tried it on, but I went ahead with it anyway. The shop assistant sounded alarmed when i remarked "There isn't too much wrong with it". Was he right? : / I thought it a rather English take on Brooks Brothers, but maybe I've messed it all up and I'm hoping it fits because i paid £175 for it. Cheers! P.S. Disregard the sleeves, I appear to be drawing my arms back striking the pose.
Picture4.png
Picture3.png

satorstyle

Reaction score
It's a touch long maybe an inch or so, they could shorten that without affecting the pockets. The sleeves also need to be lengthened a bit other than that it looks pretty good, great fit to the waist.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your legs are long, leave the jacket as is. Looks good

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good,length is good too.Are you sure it is not tight for you?There is awful lot of waist suppression from the back,which makes me think that it might be tight for you.Regent cuts are slimmer but not that slim.If you can comfortably lift your arm and your chest is not tight,I'd say keep it.It looks nice for a $250 jacket.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the waist were too tight he'd have horizontal pull creases.

literasyme

Reaction score
Pretty good. It doesn't look like it's pulling at the waist, but the folds above the vent and the fact that the vent appears to be flaring slightly suggests that it may be a little tight. Shoulders and chest look OK, though. I wouldn't lengthen the sleeves (don't like the way they drape, btw, odd arm position or otherwise; they seem to taper pretty drastically. Do they?).

Edit: Oh, are you standing unnaturally upright? That may explain the creases in the back & the vents.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side shots would also help,what is going on with sleeve pitch and quarters?I prefer more open quarters.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Pretty good. It doesn't look like it's pulling at the waist, but the folds above the vent and the fact that the vent appears to be flaring slightly suggests that it may be a little tight. Shoulders and chest look OK, though. I wouldn't lengthen the sleeves (don't like the way they drape, btw, odd arm position or otherwise; they seem to taper pretty drastically. Do they?).

Edit: Oh, are you standing unnaturally upright? That may explain the creases in the back & the vents.

Probably a little upright than usual i suppose. This could be explained by my large arse however.
lol8[1].gif

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Side shots would also help,what is going on with sleeve pitch and quarters?I prefer more open quarters.

Please may you explain what quarters are?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
picture from WAYWRN thread:
Openquarters.jpg
quarters are more open,yours are almost closed.Look under buttons.Also something is going on with your sleeves,they are bunching.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
The quarters are the front of the suit below the buttons. Open quarters means the tailor cut out more of the fabric so that below the middle button, the jacket opens a bit exposing more of the pants and it forms an "x" shape from the "v" of the lapels and the "^" of the quarters and the "v" and "^" meet at the buttons. For example, in your suit, you have the "v" of the lapels where it meets the button but the line going down just goes straight from there. Looks like a "Y". But I would say the jacket looks very good in terms of fit. I wouldn't change much if anything at all. I think if you stand more normally, then the bunching of the sleeves should go away. It also looks like you are arching your back a bit.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
The quarters are the front of the suit below the buttons. Open quarters means the tailor cut out more of the fabric so that below the middle button, the jacket opens a bit exposing more of the pants and it forms an "x" shape from the "v" of the lapels and the "^" of the quarters and the "v" and "^" meet at the buttons.

For example, in your suit, you have the "v" of the lapels where it meets the button but the line going down just goes straight from there. Looks like a "Y".

But I would say the jacket looks very good in terms of fit. I wouldn't change much if anything at all. I think if you stand more normally, then the bunching of the sleeves should go away. It also looks like you are arching your back a bit.

Originally Posted by forex
picture from WAYWRN thread:

quarters are more open,yours are almost closed.Look under buttons.Also something is going on with your sleeves,they are bunching.

Thanks guys. I can see what you mean. When in movement i believe the quarters will open up a little more.

literasyme

Reaction score
This is also a matter of preference, not fit per se. Fairly closed quarters are a stylistic choice, as are fairly open ones.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
This is also a matter of preference, not fit per se. Fairly closed quarters are a stylistic choice, as are fairly open ones.

+1,I still think sleeves should be taken out a bit,they seem too short for my taste.Although,they look fine from behind.

literasyme

Reaction score
So you think maomao's sleeves are too short as well in the photo you posted above?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads