• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique the fit of this dress shirt, for my future ModernTailor orders

LDub2010

Reaction score
This is not a custom-fitted dress shirt, it's OTR from a department store. It's fairly close to the fit I want, but it's not perfect. I'd like your critiques as to where it could be improved For starters, the sleeves are obviously too baggy for my skinny arms (though I really like the length, especially with a suit jacket on).

And if you want to really help me out, you could specifically say what measurements I should adjust slightly when sending in the measurements of the shirt to ModernTailor. But any sort of advice at all is helpful.

Sorry that I am somewhat limited in the picture angles I can provide. I only have an iphone, and there's nobody else here who can take the pictures for me right now.

Thanks in advance.

LDub2010

Reaction score
Horrible internet failure on my part. Hang on.

img0857uu.jpg

img0857uu.jpg

img0859e.jpg

img0860g.jpg

img0861q.jpg

img0863cq.jpg

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I think that OTR looks just fine to me. The sleeves don't look outrageously baggy.

You do need to pull your pants up, though. Your belt buckle shouldn't be pointing at the ground.

LDub2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Actually, I think that OTR looks just fine to me. The sleeves don't look outrageously baggy.

You do need to pull your pants up, though. Your belt buckle shouldn't be pointing at the ground.

Good call on the pants. I thought it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the sleeves were too baggy. Maybe I've got a skewed perception of what they should look like.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LDub2010
Good call on the pants. I thought it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the sleeves were too baggy. Maybe I've got a skewed perception of what they should look like.
No, you have not. Different people have different ideas of how clothes should fit. I think they are too baggy. You do too. Bleachboy doesn't. But only your opinion matters in the end since it's your shirt. Make sure the collar sits firm around your neck when it's buttoned. I think you need a lower shoulder measurement. Lower chest, lower waist and lower armhole measurements too. Maybe you can ask someone to pin the shirt for you until it fits your the way you want it and then measure it?

LDub2010

Reaction score
Two more pics I forgot to include:
img0858fn.jpg
img0860p.jpg
Sleeves still look ok? How about the underarm area? Too baggy, or just right?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those arms-out shots are the ones that caused me to say the sleeves looked okay (I just went to imageshack and saw them).

acecow is totally right, though. If you're going to do MTM, make the shirt fit the way you'd like it! Personally, I think if the arms are too fitted it ceases to look like a classic dress shirt, but that's just me.

LDub2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Those arms-out shots are the ones that caused me to say the sleeves looked okay (I just went to imageshack and saw them).

acecow is totally right, though. If you're going to do MTM, make the shirt fit the way you'd like it! Personally, I think if the arms are too fitted it ceases to look like a classic dress shirt, but that's just me.

I think what I'll probably do is take the armhole size down just a bit, but less than I would have on my first instinct.

It's a good point about losing the "classic" look if they get too fitted around the arms. I'm trying to strike a nice balance between getting my shirts fitted and still maintaining a fairly conservative, traditional look.

marco_rol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
No, you have not. Different people have different ideas of how clothes should fit. I think they are too baggy. You do too. Bleachboy doesn't. But only your opinion matters in the end since it's your shirt. Make sure the collar sits firm around your neck when it's buttoned. I think you need a lower shoulder measurement. Lower chest, lower waist and lower armhole measurements too. Maybe you can ask someone to pin the shirt for you until it fits your the way you want it and then measure it?
+1 If you're going to do MTM/bespoke get it exactly the way you want. I'd also suggest that you button the top and have someone else take the photo with both arms down at your side, etc. It's a little hard to judge with you holding the camera. Edit: duh, just read the OP again - didn't see the last line about not having anyone else to take the photo. mea culpa

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves seem way too baggy to me. I may enjoy a more tight fit around the arms than some but that fit just screams OTR.

That said, aside from the sleeves the fit isn't terrible.

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Hey if you are going to buy OTR there are optins called slim fit/ modern fit. It you are looking for that nice stream and fitting look. It will also look better with the sleeves. Does your shirt look horrible? No. Can you find better shirts OTR? Absolutely.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
It's great for OTR. If you wear a jacket pull the slack out of the sleeves and the length will be find.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marco_rol
Edit: duh, just read the OP again - didn't see the last line about not having anyone else to take the photo. mea culpa

Most cameras have a timer function; I've no idea whether the iPhone does but it would be a bit of a failure on Apple's part if it doesn't. Just prop it up against something, set the timer, and get in position...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads