1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Please critique the fit of this blazer.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pydbl, Aug 27, 2011.

1. pydbl

pydbl Member

2. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Seems to fit well besides the sleeves being just a tad bit long.

3. Sentinel

Sentinel Active Member

The shoulders look good, the waist is suppressed nicely, and there's no roll or stretch on the back. As Saturdays said, showing a bit of cuff would be ideal, but that's an easy and cheap fix.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Why did you not either think about the photograph prior to having them taken or else do them again?

In any event it is far too short - that damns it as being fit only for sale or return.

5. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

Too short, but sort of acceptable if it is mainly worn with jeans.

6. pydbl

pydbl Member

Hmm, I am not very tall (5' 8''), and my upper body is relative long. Would a jacket that is longer than this make my body look disproportional? The jacket length, which I just measured, is 27.5 inches.

7. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

You need another 1" of length for the jacket to be a 'proper' length. It should at least cover your ass.

However, if you are wearing it only with jeans or only for casual occasions such as going out at night you can wear it as is - as this is the current fashion. Just take little off the cuff so your shirt cuff is exposed though. Jacket cuff should end exactly at your wrist bone.

8. Mimosa

Mimosa Well-Known Member

I think it *fits* you nicely. Sleeves could be shortened a touch. Jacket length looks fine especially with the current trend of shorter jackets. Wear it and smile. :)

Mim

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

It should still cover your bum. The objective of the coat is not to re proportion your body - that cannot be done and therefore the appearance of the fit of the coat is your guiding task. It looks as if you are seeking to ape the appearance of Charlie Chaplin.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  10. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

That is the proper length of a jacket...for a woman.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The length is fine. Perhaps not by traditional standards, but if we're talking about modern style? Sure. It looks good on him.

Sleeves could go up a bit, but they're not horrible.

And I would want more interesting buttons on there. If you're scared of brass, go with pewter, steel or something, or something offbeat like wood, horn or MoP. But plain blue is just dull.

Chaplin wore coats way too long for comedic effect. OP's wearing it a tad bit shorter to extend his legs visually. As a short guy, I can tell you that if you have a coat that's even a little too long it can start calling to mind Chaplin in a very bad way. When you're short, it's much better to err on the side of short jackets and a longer leg.

12. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

I think it looks fine. I rather like the shorter length. The dude looks young and actually a short blazer looks great with denim. The length even works if you're going for an updated preppy style (see this month's GQ).

Do get the sleeves shortened though. The short jacket with too-long sleeves is unacceptable.

13. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Jacket length is fine in context. If it were a suit, I would complain, but as is, it is fine.

14. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Its not too short.. Rule of Thumb, he passes

15. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

16. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Senior member

it is borderline short but I work on you.

17. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Fit looks perfect to me. I particularily like the touch of masking the back of your head. No way they'll know it's you now, coming or going. Welcome to Styleforum.

18. hammer07

hammer07 Senior member

IMO the low-rise jeans aren't doing the whole look many favours; makes the jacket look shorter than it really is. For a casual outfit, I don't think the blazer is inappropriately short as some are suggesting.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  19. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

my god man, stand up straight. You're kinda standing there like you just shit yourself.

That aside, the jacket looks ok, but I'd like to see another inch in jacket length.

20. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

It is short. But I have a sport coat that is about the same shortness. It is ok for casual wear.