- Nov 24, 2010
- Reaction score
Apologies for the bad quality pics. I'm in a rush to decide whether to return this or to have it altered and couldn't find a good camera/lighting source nearby
this is a bluish-grey worsted wool suit from spurr in size 36R (made by Hickey Freeman I think). I really like the color and texture and how it fits fairly slim in the body. However I usually wear 34 jackets which have shoulders of approximately 16-16.5. The shoulders on this suit jacket is a bit over 17 (typical of 36s I guess). Also I'm 5'8"" so I'm a bit concerned that this suit might be a bit too long for me (it's a 36R).
Putting things in a list:
- I really like its color and texture
- Finding quality RTW suits in 34S/R is extremely difficult for me (let alone quality suits on sale; I got this one at 70% off but it is 36). I don't want to buy zara 34 or boy-sized suits (sleeves too short).
- The shoulders are bit too wide (1 inch-ish) for me.
- Possibly the jacket is also a tad too long for me? This I'm really not sure
- I'm willing to spend upwards of $300 for tailoring (and I live in NYC and just a few blocks from Stanton Tailor if that matters). I know from reading old posts that altering shoulders are often expensive and not worth it and that altering length can throw off the balance of the jacket (for reference the length of this suit jacket is 28.5 and I'm 5'8)
- Another option is for me to bulk up and become wider in the shoudlers through body building. I want to keep an open mind about this route, but I dont know how realistic it is to expect my shoudler to grow from 16 to 17?
So if you were in my position would you return it for $399 or have it altered? Comments about shoulders fit (are they obviously ill-fitting?) / length / body etc? Any input is much appreciated (again, sorry about the bad lighting and the poor quality pics!).
edit: just to add some relevant info this is a stock photo of the suit