• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique shoulders

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would like some input on the shoulder line of this jacket. I am very pleased with it, but would like some input. Please disregard the bit of chesthair, the picture was taken after my tie came off.

tw002editedsmall3vk.jpg

Also, please do not quote the picture, I would like the chance to take it down if I decide to. Thanks.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love it
inlove.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only nit to pick is that your left shoulder is a bit narrower than the right, so there is a bit of overhang that some tastes might not prefer. But lovely.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Looks good - I assume the crease on the left shoulder is not permanent, yes?

I like the shirt, too. Very Neopolitan.

johnnynorman

Reaction score
Eh. I don't hate it or love it. Could you get the shoulders narrowed ever so slightly? I think that would give it less of a rounded shape. I like the lightness of it, though.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, a few of my suits have that rounding/uneveness. Its a curse. Looks good otherwise.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very nice shoulder Matt, soft, yet still structured. Love the herringbone too.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the padding but agree that the left looks wider than the right.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I love the padding but agree that the left looks wider than the right.

ZJ-

It is actually a low right shoulder that you are seeing. If you look at atailors explanation on the AAAC site about how to cut a low shoulder, it matches almost exactly. The other option is to raise the right shoulder with padding, but padding is not my thing. I think that I am also standing at a slight angle to the camera.

As far as the roundness of the shoulder, that is really the look that it is supposed to have. Like Whoopee said, it is not to all tastes.

Thanks for all of the comments.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, you are right. My right shoulder is also lower.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Now that you mention it, you are right. My right shoulder is also lower.
Mine is about 1.5 cm lower than my left. For awhile I had jackets made with an extra pad, but 1.5cm is a lot of pad. I prefer to just go with what I was given in that regard. I think in the long run it is less conspicuous to have asymmetrical shoulders than to have a shape that is far from your own. The jacket is cut so that the right side compensates in that it does not collapse or come unbalanced, but it is not raised.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiton I assume?
sly.gif
Your fav?

I'm more curious of the shirt. Is that not a spread collar?
I always wonder about whether opened spread collars are best under a sportcoat? Versus say a straight pinpoint etc. or other type? Your thoughts?

I do like the way the collar works here.

My only debate, and I know this is always a somewhat heated topic, but I always wonder about showing chest hair versus a crew t-shirt. I would like to do a comparison before everyone just shots NO!

I like the shoulders.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Kiton I assume?
sly.gif
Your fav?

I'm more curious of the shirt. Is that not a spread collar?
I always wonder about whether opened spread collars are best under a sportcoat? Versus say a straight pinpoint etc. or other type? Your thoughts?

I do like the way the collar works here.

Thanks. I personally like opened spread collars under a sportcoat, but I was wearing a tie that day. I had taken my tie off. I like the fact that they fill up the collar of the jacket nicely. I also like high collars open as they have a sort of old Hollywood look to them. I don't even mind when the collars go outside the jacket, especially when the shirt is linen :ducks:

My only debate, and I know this is always a somewhat heated topic, but I always wonder about showing chest hair versus a crew t-shirt. I would like to do a comparison before everone just shots NO!

I like the shoulders.
I don't like t-shirts, and don't have a personal problem with chest hair. I think that it comes down to how you feel comfortable. Chest hair either is or is not a part of your body, and I don't see anything vulgar about it. Others may differ. I also think that a t-shirt can look good under an open collar. I think that comfort both physical and mental rule the day when it comes to issues like this.

I am glad you like the shoulders
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads