• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Critique New Blazer Fit: Slim Fit

weathernut123

Reaction score
Please critique the fit of this new slim fit blazer I got. Is it a keeper? Or should I return it? I appreciate all your time and advice!

BaseballDad

Reaction score
Return it.
It is too short----rule of thumb...the bottom of the jacket should be at the same level as your thumbs.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders look maybe just a hair too big, but that jacket is veryy short. If you're going for that look then sure

weathernut123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BaseballDad
Return it.
It is too short----rule of thumb...the bottom of the jacket should be at the same level as your thumbs.

I know you guys think it is too short, but here are some pictures of the same blazer from the original designer, and by that rule, it is short for all models wearing it. What do you think?

Any other issues other than length?

rudedog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by weathernut123
I know you guys think it is too short, but here are some pictures of the same blazer from the original designer, and by that rule, it is short for all models wearing it. What do you think?

Any other issues other than length?

It is too short on that model as well. Short jackets with narrow lapels are fashion right now, but they won't be in a couple of years. If you like it on you, and you like having a trendy image (and can pull it off), and you don't mind that you won't be able to wear that jacket in a couple of years, then go for it. If you're looking for a more timeless fit, then it's too short.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket is very short in all of these pictures.

You can like it or not, but the history of jackets suggests that the window of time in which some people thinks this looks good ... will be small.

Back is sloppy but this is common in RTW

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by weathernut123
Please critique the fit of this new slim fit blazer I got. Is it a keeper? Or should I return it? I appreciate all your time and advice!

for a ready to wear jacket and given the current fashion infatuation with short jackets, it's not bad.

when fashion changes in a couple years and you continue to wear that jacket, you'll be the universally ridiculed for being Pee-Wee Herman.

ktrp

Reaction score
Shoulder seems to have a little excess fabric, by contrast when buttoned it seems a hair snug in the waist.

Style is not to my tastes, but that's a different issue. I find the 'super short' jackets look so-so in pictures like this, but if you take a full body picture right down to the shoes, the proportions are more obvious and it looks like you're a little boy who outgrew last year's jacket. To me.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
return it unless you are a high school student.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BaseballDad
Return it.

Not thumb level. Knuckle level

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is too short. It covers your entire arse. I think this forum is backlashing against short jackets, so anything that can vaguely seem short will be called out as too short.

Besides, if you are short or of average height, better shorter than longer.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
I don't think it is too short. It covers your entire arse. I think this forum is backlashing against short jackets, so anything that can vaguely seem short will be called out as too short.

Besides, if you are short or of average height, better shorter than longer.

It does not cover his ass.

Short jackets give most men an hourglass figure.

You have to be a rail thin kid to wear a short jacket and not have this happen.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...wouldn't wear it with anything but a pair of jeans...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads