• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique navy blazer fit

mpower

Reaction score
Greetings! Been reading SF for a while and decided to start building my wardrobe step by step. This blazer is from Polo Ralph Lauren, size 42L. I had it tailored once in the store in which they removed some fabric in the back. I'm not particularly impressed by the result. The problems, including those for the pants: 1. Still quite roomy in the chest area. I don't know if this is the reason why it's sticking out around the middle button. 2. Low arm hole? It feels really funny when I raise my arms. Can this be improved at this stage? 3. Strange looking on both sides of upper back. How to improve this? 4. Pants too long... 5. Pants can be tapered a little in the thighs? I would really like to hear what you guys think before I take it to another tailor. I appreciate your inputs. Thanks!

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders might be a little too wide for you. Armholes are definitely lower than you'd like, but that's going to be true for you in most RTW - you're a tall 42, not a big 42. Not sure what's going on with the sleeves. It's really not that bad, though, if you didn't pay through the nose for it. Any further alterations are going to be in the $150-300 range, so you'd better love the jacket.

mpower

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Shoulders might be a little too wide for you. Armholes are definitely lower than you'd like, but that's going to be true for you in most RTW - you're a tall 42, not a big 42. Not sure what's going on with the sleeves. It's really not that bad, though, if you didn't pay through the nose for it. Any further alterations are going to be in the $150-300 range, so you'd better love the jacket.
Thanks! Hmm... I think the first tailor charged me about 100. Price for the blazer was not a very deep discount though. So do you think I should keep it as it is?

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice fit to a RTW jacket. The armhole issue can not be solved at this stage. See if the tailor can clean the back of the sleeves for you.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders are slightly too wide, and the jacket looks a bit short on you. How tall are you?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
See if the tailor can clean the back of the sleeves for you.

I get that problem with the RTW jackets I have and it is easily fixed by tailors.
The funny thing when you lift your arms should be because of the low armholes.

And wow you must be a really tall bloke with long legs! Even the 42L seems a bit on the short side.

mpower

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I'm 6'5'', 170 lbs, and have a 38'' chest and 32'' waist. While I should really work out to improve my physique, do you think I could use more waist suppression on this jacket?

Vecna

Reaction score
I'm 6'3" 42L normal build and brooks brothers sells a navy blazer which has armholes I find to be sufficiently high. Worth checking out for future reference, even if you won't be buying.

Also, since we wear the same size, tell me if you're selling anything!

Other than the armholes (which are certainly the largest problem) the jacket seems a wee bit short, but it's negligible.

Jay

Reaction score
Other than the low armholes, the jacket looks good on you even though it's a bit short. I think the pants need to be hemmed up a bit more, but I don't think tapering is necessary.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mpower
Thanks guys!

I'm 6'5'', 170 lbs, and have a 38'' chest and 32'' waist. While I should really work out to improve my physique, do you think I could use more waist suppression on this jacket?

Woah, quite lanky. You should make the decision to bulk up prior to spending serious coin on your clothes. If you don't, your nice clothes that fit your lanky build will encourage you not to. And even if I don't think you should be more fit, you seem to think so and so if you don't do something you're going to have a nagging insecurity about it for the rest of your life.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Woah, quite lanky. You should make the decision to bulk up prior to spending serious coin on your clothes. If you don't, your nice clothes that fit your lanky build will encourage you not to. And even if I don't think you should be more fit, you seem to think so and so if you don't do something you're going to have a nagging insecurity about it for the rest of your life.

Well now he has a 42L so that means he has 4 inches of chest to work on to fill it up. Get down and start benching! :p

mpower

Reaction score
Thanks. I swim a little bit so I do have the shoulders for a 42L, but everything below definitely needs some serious work. My goal is 180 lbs. (not easy for someone with a single digit body fat)

Guess I'll keep the jacket as is and start to bulk up my upper body before I do more waist suppression.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree w the above comments. A tad short, low armholes and slightly wider in the shoulder department.

ktrp

Reaction score
6'3" and hovering under 170 here. You guys lemme know if you're selling.
wink.gif

Screw bulking, I'm going to cut to 160 if I can. If I can't, I'll move up, but only to 175.

What BB jacket has the highest armholes? Everyone says waist suppression is easy, so I guess I'm looking for a blazer with the right shoulder/armholes/chest, regardless.

Made in California

Reaction score
OP I'm assuming you drive an BMW Motorsport of some sort. Year/model?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads