• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my tweed jacket

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pardon me for wearing t-shirt instead of button-downs.
laugh.gif

SDC11257.jpg

SDC11251.jpg

SDC11252.jpg

SDC11265.jpg

I just got my tweed jacket back from the tailor. It is a fully-canvassed jacket, single-breasted, 2-button side-vented, made in Harris Tweed (ht120, ordered from Butt of Lewis Textile). I asked soft shoulder, high armholes and the result is quite good (to me). I am quite satisfied with the overall work. Price was reasonable comparing to the average standard of Shanghai. I think I can start to establish long-term relationship with the tailor.
Any comment will be appreciated, especially those on the fit and construction. I am eager to know anything can be improved. Thanks in advance!

Bentley

Reaction score
I like it. Everything looks to be a good fit and I like tweed jackets.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd prefer a bit more shape, but it looks good, the back fits perfectly.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me. I would have chosen different pockets but thats a stylistic preference.

Where did you get it made ?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Quite good overall. Back balance is a hair short (see the way the vent flares open?) and I think the shoulders are too narrow. Certainly, your frame could use a little extension.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Looks good to me. I would have chosen different pockets but thats a stylistic preference.

Where did you get it made ?

A Shanghai tailor shop named "Humsuit". Eighty years ago it was called Handsome Suit. Well-known among local landers but most of their reputation were gained before 1949.
No hand-sewn button holes, quite sad about that.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Quite good overall. Back balance is a hair short (see the way the vent flares open?) and I think the shoulders are too narrow. Certainly, your frame could use a little extension.
Yes I know about the "balance" issue, but must the back piece be as long as the front ones? A rule or just personal preference?

The tailor actually added some extension in the basted fitting but I didnt like the effect.
confused.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
No hand-sewn button holes, quite sad about that.

No one cares about them except igents. Dont worry about that.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
Yes I know about the "balance" issue, but must the back piece be as long as the front ones? A rule or just personal preference?

The tailor actually added some extension in the basted fitting but I didnt like the effect.
confused.gif

It's not length v. front, it's that you don't have enough length in back to follow the curve of your shoulder blades. The back is short and needs to be dropped from the top so that it straightens out at the bottom and the vents close.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine as a tweed jacket - the slightly shapeless style works well. I don't like the ticket pocket wthout a flap though.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Especially like the smooth back, That's usually where we see the most problems. What is the weight of the tweed in oz? Would you say it's a fairly thick fabric? One thing I noticed was the odd bulbous area just beneath your shoulders in the chest... I wonder if that is an excess of drape that should be cut closer to your chest?
deletesure-31.jpg
The armhole looks like it could go a tad higher, but I know it's hard to convince tailors to do that (I'm engaged in an epic struggle with my HK tailor at the moment about that)
deletesure-30.jpg

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
I'm the posture police. You're under arrest.

Correct the hyperlordosis, excessive internal rotation of the humerous, and the excessive forward lean, and this sc will look much better on you.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos
Correct the hyperlordosis

I'm going to have to ask you to go to medical school if you want to talk this way. Hyperlordosis is a painful condition that cannot be diagnosed from fit pics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads