• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Critique My Suit!

dopamine

Reaction score
Alright, so I bought my first suit last semester while in NY for a conference - hit up Bloomingdale's and bought a John Varvatos suit on sale. Of course, back then, I knew very little about suits. Now that I'm on Style Forum, I'd like to take advantage of the vast wealth of knowledge here and see how I did. I'm almost most probably going to try and get some alterations done - the sleeves seem far too long. I'll update this thread tomorrow when I have daylight to get more shots of the pants and whatnot. Also, please disregard the shoes - I know they're absolutely awful and cheap, I just haven't had a chance to pick up real shoes yet. I'm quite slim and small, and it was difficult to find a suit that fit me properly. I was hoping for a more slim-fitting pair of pants, but oh well. Anyways, here are pictures:

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

Suit: John Varvatos
Shirt: H&M Slim Fit
Tie: Brooks Brothers
Shoes: Crappy ass Steve Maddens I bought for like $30 on Black Friday from Amazon

I'm particularly concerned by the break of the pants, as I'm not exactly sure if they're too long. Also, keep in mind that while I'm using this suit for interviews and presentations (I'm an undergraduate business student), I also like to wear slim-fitting clothing and more modern cuts. Unfortunately, I can't afford Dior, so this is the best I could find with my limited knowledge.

dj-jd

Reaction score
I'd take the pants up just a bit. If I ever wonder about a fit, I'll go into the taylor and ask.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dj-jd
I'd take the pants up just a bit. If I ever wonder about a fit, I'll go into the taylor and ask.

+1

Id prefer less break. Wear them with the shoes you'll be wearing most with them, and then get a fitting.

dopamine

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! What do you guys think of the rest of the fit?

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Wow, I think that looks really swell. (Though most here, but not me, distain black suits). The tie and the crisp white shirt really make it come alive. Nice shoulders, great waist. On the pants take-up: a rule-of-thumb that works well for me is to let the hem sit exactly 1" off the floor when you're standing (in front of a mirror) shoeless, in stocking feet. But anyhow: you made a fine choice.

dopamine

Reaction score
This is a bit OT, but how does one go about making those ridiculously tight and perfect tie knots that one sees in menswear advertisements or on the Brooks Brothers website - such as here: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/tieknots/tieknots.tem My four-in-hand and Half Windsor don't exactly look shoddy, but they definitely aren't works of art.

cvac

Reaction score
Hard to judge fit with a picture of the back.

Next time buy a charcoal gray or navy suit.

Definitely get a real pair of dress shoes whatever you do.

For better tie knots, practice. I actually don't like those super tight knots where the tie is being "strangled" b/c they cause really bad wrinkles in the tie that don't go away. Take a look at well dressed people in real life - their tie knots typically don't look like that either.

cvac

Reaction score
The sleeves are too long b/c they don't show at least 1/4" of shirt cuff. Break on the pants is personal taste, I personally go for very little break. Also, I don't like plain bottom trousers on suits, I go for a 1.5" cuff.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Your left sleeve looks longer than the right. As everyone else pointed out, the hem of the trousers can afford to come up a little more, and since this appears to be a slimmer fitting suit, I recommend sticking with t plain bottoms - not cuffs.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
And at least shine those shoes!

goodlife

Reaction score
As others have noted, both sleeve and hem are a little long. It also seems like the sleeves are a lot fuller then necessary especially in the upper arm area. It could just be the way you are standing, but something looks off in the back, maybe one of the more experiences members could provide some guidance. Overall, a pretty decent looking suit.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I really like the suit. John Varvatos makes really nice slim cut. I do agree the hem needs to come up a tag. The sleeve length difference could be from the way you're standing in the picture. Sleeve do need to come up - you should see about a dimes length of shirt cuff if it fits right.

As for shoes, if you have another $30.00 on ebay you could do much better than the Maddens. Right now is a great time to buy dress shoes.

dopamine

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! I'm in the market for a nice pair of stylish dress shoes hopefully costing no more than $150. Do you think it'll be difficult to take the hem in on the pants and shorten the sleeves? The buttons on the suit are non-functional. Does anyone know of a decent tailor in either Sacramento or Philadelphia that could be relied upon for these alters and hopefully not cost too much?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks surprisingly good for off the rack. Although black suits do tend to make one look like either an undertaker or a diamonds salesman on 47th street.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads