• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my suit

vinceince

Reaction score
Hi, I recently acquired a relatively cheap made to-to-measure suit but am something of a novice when it comes to how it should look. Whilst at the tailors I asked for adjustments based on what I'd read online and used certain style models as reference, I was going for a slimmer look but without (hopefully) going overboard. This suit will only be used for informal occasions, I don't wear a suit to work.

If you'd be so kind I'd appreciate any honest feedback (be as harsh as you like, I'm a big boy I can take it) regarding the cut, lengths, style and anything else you feel is relevant, thank you.

FULL SUIT

TROUSERS

JACKET CLOSE UP

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The sleeve length looks about right to me, but the jacket is way too tight and way too short. It looks like one of those GQ clone suits that don't even look good on models. Not to mention the common knowledge is that single vented suit jackets are a no go (and I agree). The shoulders are too small and although the trousers aren't overly offensive, they are a bit too slim for my taste. This suit does not fit what I would define as a nice looking classic suit. It might impress a few ladies who aren't used to seeing guys in suits, but it wouldn't impress anyone else.

vinceince

Reaction score
Thanks for looking, I must admit I don't like the single vent on the back either. I guess I should have done more research.

The jacket doesn't really feel too tight to me, is there any area in particular that you think looks tight? Can you expand on what you mean about the small shoulders please - too narrow?

I also think it is too short, I guess there's nothing I can do about that now though :(

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The left collar is gaping big time. A single vent isn't bad, but it seems to be flaring in your case. The jacket is a bit too short.

Can you get your money back?

jgeldner

Reaction score
removed triple post

Last edited:

jgeldner

Reaction score
edited to remove double post - sorry

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a suit, it is.

It's not my preferred style and I refuse to buy single-vented suits personally because I don't love the look, but I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to say it's bad. I think there are a lot of features a suit can have that are way worse than a single vent.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That jacket is ridiculously short. I'm not going to go any further than that.

EDIT:

I take it back. I have to say something else. What the fxck is wrong with your shoulders OP? LOL! Not even the tilted camera can even them out.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a fashionable style suit, was that your intent?

If so, I would concur that there is flaring on the bottom (odd on a single vent suit), slightly tight at buttoning point (as quarters open a bit), pants could be cleaner (might just be wrinkling). The slim lapels and short jacket seem to match a fashionable style.

If you were aiming for a classic business/conservative suit, then a re-make would be in order.

vinceince

Reaction score
That jacket is ridiculously short. I'm not going to go any further than that.

EDIT:

I take it back. I have to say something else. What the fxck is wrong with your shoulders OP? LOL! Not even the tilted camera can even them out.

Haha, I don't actually know. I thought when I first read your reply that it would be something to do with when I popped a bone out snowboarding but that is on the right side and I seem to be slanted downwards on that side! I didn't notice myself but it's glaringly obvious now.

I do have a slightly concave chest on the right side, it's almost as if my rib cage is twisted slightly from the centre, but I don't know if that contributes to my posture...maybe it does?

I remember going to an osteopath years ago and they commented that my posture is a little wonky...I haven't noticed or been told it since but I'll definitely look into it, thanks for picking up on it.

Anyway, this isn't 'Embarrassing Bodies' so I'll shut up now.

vinceince

Reaction score
It's a fashionable style suit, was that your intent?

If so, I would concur that there is flaring on the bottom (odd on a single vent suit), slightly tight at buttoning point (as quarters open a bit), pants could be cleaner (might just be wrinkling). The slim lapels and short jacket seem to match a fashionable style.

If you were aiming for a classic business/conservative suit, then a re-make would be in order.

Yes I wanted something contemporary rather than classic and conservative, it is a quite cheap MTM and was a bit of an experiment really, I went in to get some shirts made but ended up getting a suit too (props to the sales assistant for that one...).

It's my first MTM and really a learning experience, it's a shame I seem to have wasted money on something a bit **** but it will teach me to do my homework in future when it comes to buying a classic suit from a decent tailor.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get your money back on the suit; the collar gap is a show of shoddy workmanship.

Last edited:

jebkeb11

Reaction score
I think you basically got what you were aiming for. A bit of a contemporary look. It's what I personally like, also. I love a good center vent suit and a shorter jacket. I really like the slim look and I even like a shorter pant than what you show here. For a cheap off the rack suit, I don't see much wrong with it...maybe the collar separation. Overall, it looks pretty sharp...IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads