• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my suit

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty rough.

Coat too tight and too short, trousers too short and too tight through the thigh. Single vent looks awful as well.

Burning may be a tad too harsh as long as you can get your money back.

calcoast

Reaction score
It doesnt come close to SF standards but I think it looks good to the other 99.8 percent of the population.

meursault42

Reaction score
Bah don't worry too much. You said it yourself, you were going to a slim looking suit and it's only for fun. The suit is fine. Yeah, it's a little tight, but so what? Tight suits are "in" right now. Besides you probably don't want to go around looking like you are ready for a board meeting anyway. I'm sure someone will rage against this as hard as they raged against your suit, but honestly? If this thing is only for fun and whatnot, I don't see the issue. A full trouser with enough fabric to drape all the way to the shoe is out and looks old man-ish.

And also: the jacket is too short? Please. His jacket covers 95% of his bum. That's totally acceptable. Short jackets are also in right now.

That said, what everyone said is more or less spot on. There's a lot of pulling on your back vent and the pull around the button coupled with the bowing of the lapel means the jacket's too tight. So maybe wear it unbuttoned or something. Pants look fine, if slightly long for current fashionable taste and the jacket sleeves are a hair too long. If the sleeve buttons aren't functional, I'd suggest you go take it into a local alteration person and have them raise the sleeves by 1/4 an inch-ish. Ideally you'd like about 1/4-1/2 an inch of cuff showing.

Keep the jacket, burn nothing, wear it to parties.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you basically got what you were aiming for. A bit of a contemporary look. It's what I personally like, also. I love a good center vent suit and a shorter jacket. I really like the slim look and I even like a shorter pant than what you show here. For a cheap off the rack suit, I don't see much wrong with it...maybe the collar separation. Overall, it looks pretty sharp...IMO.
1) Lurk longer.
2) Come back and read above comment.
3) Laugh.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bah don't worry too much. You said it yourself, you were going to a slim looking suit and it's only for fun. The suit is fine. Yeah, it's a little tight, but so what? Tight suits are "in" right now. Besides you probably don't want to go around looking like you are ready for a board meeting anyway. I'm sure someone will rage against this as hard as they raged against your suit, but honestly? If this thing is only for fun and whatnot, I don't see the issue. A full trouser with enough fabric to drape all the way to the shoe is out and looks old man-ish.

And also: the jacket is too short? Please. His jacket covers 95% of his bum. That's totally acceptable. Short jackets are also in right now. 

That said, what everyone said is more or less spot on. There's a lot of pulling on your back vent and the pull around the button coupled with the bowing of the lapel means the jacket's too tight. So maybe wear it unbuttoned or something. Pants look fine, if slightly long for current fashionable taste and the jacket sleeves are a hair too long. If the sleeve buttons aren't functional, I'd suggest you go take it into a local alteration person and have them raise the sleeves by 1/4 an inch-ish. Ideally you'd like about 1/4-1/2 an inch of cuff showing. 

Keep the jacket, burn nothing, wear it to parties. 

There's a difference between slim and tight. You can wear something that is slim but that does not look like it is a size too small. The center vent should not flare out. If a center vent that flares out and bowed lapels are "in," I'll gladly wear my "out of fashion" clothes and look good doing it. Burning is extreme but getting the suit redone if the MTM shop is willing to do right is the best option. Then he can have a slim suit that fits and have the best of all worlds.

mhdena

Reaction score
The jacket is to small, short. If it was the proper size you could close the vent.

So you told the tailor what you wanted and he said "sure I can do it", without trying to fit you properly?

Anyone who knows what they are doing would have talked you out of that look you wanted for your own good.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
uhoh.gif

I love a good center vent suit and a shorter jacket.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is you can't even call that tight.

That suit looks like your mother bought for you at the age of 12. You are still wearing it.

meursault42

Reaction score
Don't misunderstand me. You'll note that I made mention of the too tight jacket but that's the thing: that really is a trend right now. Shall I waste the time to list the large number of labels making super tight suits? If you are on this forum you are as aware of them as I am.
So to clarify: yes it is too tight. If the op wanted a James Bond-y tight suit it worked and enjoy it. As the op stated it is not a formal suit so for dancing and getting sweaty this is a non issue. If the op wanted a loose fitting board room standard the suit looks childishly out of place.
Final thought here: if you can get it changed/remade get them to bump out the chest and either put more fabric at the vent or change to a double vent to stop it from exposing you when you button it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics