• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my suit

krish88

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm taking my suit to a local tailor and would appreciate any feedback on suggested alterations -- here are front/back/side pictures (taken super quickly, I noticed I forgot to fix my shirt collar). The suit feels snug around the shoulders and the sleeves are a good length, I was thinking of shortening the entire jacket by 1" or 0.5" and possibly a bit more waist suppression (taking it in 1" or so)? It seems a bit boxy to me.

Would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, we need better photos. Try to take some with sufficient light.
The length is OK to me. I dont like the shoulder line but it is less alterable.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pics are nto the best quality that is for sure but from what I can tell the lenght of the suit is fine. The sholders are a bit broad and the sides could be taken in just a bit.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Amongst other things, the sleeves need serious work.

krish88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Amongst other things, the sleeves need serious work.

Could you clarify what you mean (what's wrong with the sleeves, and what else could be improved?)

Here are some better light pictures -- it's not a great day here so can't get much natural light:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The back of the jacket is way too loose. Is it buttoned for that picture? If so I would say that it's too wide at the shoulders and the chest. Size down 2 inches and see how that fits. It should be pretty smooth across the shoulders/back and release freely toward the floor without bunching. You've got ripples of fabric from top to bottom.

BTW it's nearly impossible to shorten the jacket by an inch and maintain its look. The pockets can't be moved up, so they will appear way to close to the bottom of the jacket.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The sleeves bunch up on your arms. They should drape smoothly and follow a gentle, convex curve from shoulder point to cuff.

The shoulder line is mucked up. Neither side flows smoothly into your collar.

The buttoning point is too high and the front balance is short. Take a look at your side profile photo--it looks like the front of your jacket is riding up over stomach.

There's roll behind your collar.

The back could use more shape. It just hangs straight down from your shoulders in a line perpendicular to the ground.

krish88

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, is there any way to salvage it and fix the sleeve bunching and drape over the back? All the pictures I had the top button buttoned so agreed it does look a little shapeless. The shoulders can't be fixed of course but let me know if you think some alterations can make it look "OK" or if it's just time to return it (it's a M .Valentino from the Wizard of Aahs btw)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think alterations could help, but they may be too costly to be worthwhile. Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with alterations pricing, so hopefully someone else can chime in.

krish88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SartorialGhostOfVTR
There's a definite need for waist suppression. There seems to be strangeness in the thigh area as well. I'd like to see the length of the pants. The back needs to be brough in. That suit looks odd on you. I can't put my finger on what it is. It could be the poses or that the fact that you're not well pulled together.
The pants length is fine, I hem them myself to have exactly no break. Basically I'm estimating alterations at around $100 (waist suppression, lowering the collar to fix the bunching on the neck, and some work on the hips), bringing the total cost of this suit to $400 for an altered OTR suit -- do you think that would be worthwhile or do I have a better option in that price range (should I just look for another brand). And sorry for all the questions, it's only my 2nd suit overall and I'm not completely familiar with all the specifics of fit (I've researched them, but there's only so much you can see without seeing it on a specific suit/person)

krish88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SartorialGhostOfVTR
No problem. Online forums are for discussion. 90+ percent of the time, you'll have to tailor your suit regardless of the brand. With the right tailoring, that suit could become a winner. However, if you're willing to go on a treasure hunt, you can find suits in the same price range that have a better cut for your body. That suit looks pretty boxy. The shoulders look squared at the beginning of the sleeve. If I were going to have something done, I'd take in the waist and clean up the back. I may think about taking in the chest as well. It may cost to have the clothes tailored, but having the perfect (or near perfect) fitting suit makes up for the cost.

Thanks for that, I did decide to return it -- in the end it was the shoulder line, that can't be fixed and just doesn't look good. I live in Vancouver, Canada, so unfortunately the suit options here are limited (I've already exhausted all the main stores around here, found some great suits for around $600+, but not looking to spend that much just yet)

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out the suits that whusurdadi has for sale. He's an excellent seller and has VERY reasonable prices. He's also very helpful in terms of measurements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads