• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my Suit Supply suit (not RLBL but pics inside)!!!

020-banker

Reaction score
There are quite a few reviews of Suit Supply ( www.suitsupply.com ) on this board, but very few actual pictures.

I've been to the Regent Street and Lime Street stores in London - I must say I prefer the Lime Street store greatly.

The GBP199-299 suits are constructed the same (half canvass), major price difference reflecting fabric quality. The suit below is a silk-wool blend (30% silk / 70% wool) dark grey. There was a pure wool for GBP199 in a mid-to-light grey that was nice also, but ultimately too light in color. There is a larger selection of fabrics in store than online. Cuts were slimmer and more modern than TM Lewin.

I have my own comments on the fit, but will reserve them until I get forum feedback. SF, let loose!

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good, but not terribly cheap either...

020-banker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Those are some pretty crappy pics.

You understand you can click on the pic and make it much larger, correct?

GucciKid

Reaction score
The fit of the jacket is not bad, but the button stance is way too high for you, making it look a bit comical.

GucciKid

Reaction score
The fit in most areas is quite good for OTR, but the button stance really irks me. As well, unless you can have the sleeves lengthened, this is a must return, as right now you are showing like two inches of cuff.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cuffs are fine. and it's a really nice fit on you IMO. only problem is the button stance, which i agree is too high. for that price though i dont think you could do much better

020-banker

Reaction score
Thanks for the critiques. Here's my read:

Fit:
- I am 5'10'' 160lbs and usually take a 38R. The suit i got is a 36R but fits properly.
- Fits well through the body after it was brought in at the sides slightly.
- Working buttonholes limit large sleeve alterations. Sleeves could be a touch longer, but I'm not sure if the extra 1/4th inch is worth GBP12 to fix. I'm OK to show a touch more linen than standard.
- Sleeves themselves are acceptably slim with high-ish armholes for a RTW suit
- General cut is slim yet conservative. The jacket has a high notch, but the lapels that are reasonably sized (not skinny Don Draper style) and the jacket itself is reasonably long (not short like TAT or Thom Browne).
- The camera angle makes the button stance look higher than it really is in real life.
- Trousers are well cut but hemmed a touch long for my taste. I may revisit the store to have the hem taken up 1/4 inch. Leg opening measures 8.25 inches at the ankle. Slim, not severe.
- Important - different jackets seemed to have slightly different cuts - I tried 2 more jackets on at the store, one of which had a higher buttoning point, one lower. I'm not sure how to differentiate the cuts, save asking a salesperson or trying it on.

Finish:
- Pick stitching everywhere - it's a bit much.
- Lapel roll is nice with "life" rather than pressed flat and "lifeless".
- Shoulders are not heavily padded, and the jacket is only lightly structured (but fully lined). It feels light in a good way.
- I hope the silk/wool blend lasts longer than I fear it will! Blends like this are not known to handle extreme wear & tear. Suit Supply has plenty of 100% wool and wool/mohair blends that should wear better.

All in all, not bad for GBP300.

The corporate website is a bit flashy for my tastes, but the stores I was in were more sedate. They have a tailor on staff and did my alterations in 1 hour!

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good, your showing jsut enough shirt cuff, the jacket seems to hang well and comes in just right on the waist. I guessing the pants are flat front otherwise you might want to go with a cuff at the bottom.

020-banker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Looks good, your showing jsut enough shirt cuff, the jacket seems to hang well and comes in just right on the waist. I guessing the pants are flat front otherwise you might want to go with a cuff at the bottom.
Thanks. I thought the fit was spot on, it seems most people are agreeing. I still think the hem can come up a bit, but that's my personal preference. Pants are flat front, no pleats. It's a "styleforum thing" to have tall 1.5-2 inch cuffs on trousers like these, but I prefer a cleaner cuffless look which is more normal with flat front trousers anyhow. It's worth noting Suitsupply puts a rub strip inside the hem to protect against wear and help the fabric hang better. Although, in the pictures my one leg appears to have hung up on my sock anyhow!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 020-banker
- Sleeves themselves are acceptably slim with high-ish armholes for a RTW suit

So this is a RTW suit and not one of their MTM?

020-banker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
So this is a RTW suit and not one of their MTM?

Correct. Their MTM is more expensive and RTW/OTR fit me well. Each of the two stores had a lot fo different fabrics in stock to choose from (maybe 20 per size?). Oddly, they carry unusual sizes like 35R.

fox81

Reaction score
i think it looks good and suit supply are pretty good value for what they offer.

the high button point is common to their styles, even obscurity's m2m stuff from them in holland has a similarly high button point.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
the high button point is common to their styles, even obscurity's m2m stuff from them in holland has a similarly high button point.
The MTM programme does give you some flexibility in this - my MTM suits actually have a slightly lower buttoning point than the RTW standard shown here. You're quite right, however, in that the buttoning point is still high - this is just their house style. I did happen to hear last time that they now also offer a 'British cut', which apparently has a quite different style with a lower buttoning point.

Incidentally, the MTM suits are fully canvassed, rather than the half canvassed construction described here.

To the OP - I think you did well for altered RTW (and for the budget) though I'm not sure what's going on with your photos... did you apply some weird effect to them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads