• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my suit - New member

wayz53

Reaction score
This is my first post on style forum. I have a strong desire to build a more respectable wardrobe, but at the same time I don't want to be wasteful, hence the purpose of this post. I am trying to determine if I should just keep these or ebay them.

The black suit (hugo boss, wore 3 times) my parents got it for me 6 years ago, I am thinking about sending it in to the tailor to see if it is "salvageable." IF the look and fit is really that bad, is it more beneficial for me to just try to sell it on ebay and get a new suit all together?

The second jacket (hugo boss, brand new) I got it from my brother, if it is workable what color pants would work well with the jacket?

I am 5'11" at 150lb very slim build, I am open to all suggestions.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like/wear ventless jackets!
I don't like square toe'd shoes!

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're both at least a size too large. Sorry!

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yep, the sleeves and the pants are too long. you look like a little kid wearing his dad's clothes

GanglandDandy

Reaction score
Too big and baggy all around. Sell it on eBay and get something that fits shoulder-wise and start from there.

shiftless_bum

Reaction score
+1 on the comments. The suit and jacket are too large. It would be a better use of your $ to sell them here or on ebay and buy something that fits you better.

deranged

Reaction score
maybe go to a nice tailor to get it taken in. might be cheaper than buying new ****

artoftime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deranged
maybe go to a nice tailor to get it taken in. might be cheaper than buying new ****

+1 - you're wearing a shapeless, oversized garment...see a decent tailor and educate yourself on the difference. It's one of the first big steps to your said desire.

redzapper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by artoftime
+1 - you're wearing a shapeless, oversized garment...see a decent tailor and educate yourself on the difference. It's one of the first big steps to your said desire.

+1 Also don't like ventless jackets

shiftless_bum

Reaction score
Don't agree about tailoring this. The shoulders are huge - its almost an impossible task (or at least many $ with a substandard outcome) to refit this.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deranged

I disagree. Proper alterations for a suit like this will cost well over $100, maybe even over $200 if using a good tailor, involving recutting the shoulders and massive waist suppression. The problem with doing something like this is that you'll be left with a suit made with crappy fabric that just sort of fits, but will always look slightly off, especially with the low armholes, which can only be fixed so much.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders need to be cut - which is expensive and easily botched. Sleeve length needs to be shorted, but isn't as expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads