• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please CRITIQUE My Suit (from a Newbie)

newbie123

Reaction score
I'm going to the tailor next weekend, I kindly ask for SF's collective wisdom so that I can at least look decent in my suit. Thanks so much!

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

lincolnshirepaul

Reaction score
The Button stance looks slightly off to me, but I don't know if this can be altered. You also need to get your tailor to take your trousers up as there is far too much break. Sleeves look a bit short, I would take them down a quarter to half an inch, unless you're aiming for a "Cary Grant" look.

It also appears to be pulling around the armholes somewhat - the look like they're cut a bit too high.

Could you maybe crop the pics less, as it helps place the suit in context somehow ?

chet31

Reaction score
Pretty good, maybe taking in the back seam would flatten out the back, and the pants seem too long.

Ivar

Reaction score
What the others say. Additionally, I find the gorge slightly too high.

bluesman528

Reaction score
It technically fits (comments about trousers' hemming and sleeve length aside) pretty well for OTR but it's not the most flattering cut for you. Perhaps a little more structured shoulder with a slightly longer jacket and lapel combined with a lower button stance would have looked better on you. With this cut here you look a little bit pear-shaped (based from what I see on the pics at least) and that can't really be changed by a tailor anymore.

But all in all the suit looks decent and you will probably come along better with it than 3/4 of "the suits" anyway.
smile.gif

Vaudevillian

Reaction score
as remarked by others, the pant is definitely too long, even if you want to go for a classic silhouette.

The top is not bad, they went for a slightly Thom Browne-sque look (fairly short with sleeves that are a bit larger than the narrow ones now dominating most looks). I think there is too much tissue around the back-shoulder area so you might want to get rid of that :)

I have a fetish for buttons so I hope they used high-quality ones...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shorten the trousers, reduce the cropping.

TomAlso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluesman528
It technically fits (comments about trousers' hemming and sleeve length aside) pretty well for OTR but it's not the most flattering cut for you. Perhaps a little more structured shoulder with a slightly longer jacket and lapel combined with a lower button stance would have looked better on you. With this cut here you look a little bit pear-shaped (based from what I see on the pics at least) and that can't really be changed by a tailor anymore.

But all in all the suit looks decent and you will probably come along better with it than 3/4 of "the suits" anyway.
smile.gif

+1 on the shoulders. I think a more Italian looking suit would look much better on you.

newbie123

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, all points well-taken. I will post updated pics after tailoring. A few add'l questions: 1) Sleeves: Will they be able to lengthen the sleeves, where are they going to pull the extra cloth? Any suggestion how long should I lengthen the sleeve, a rough estimate is fine (Still, I hope the suit is wearable without adjusting the sleeves). 2) Arms: Should I "take-in" the arms also? 3) Trousers: When I hem the pants, should I consider future shrinkage? With regards to bluesman528's comments:
Perhaps a little more structured shoulder with a slightly longer jacket and lapel combined with a lower button stance would have looked better on you
I will consider these when buying my next suit. Frankly, I don't really know what a "structured" shoulder is but the rest I understand
smile.gif
I apologize for the cropping (privacy thing)

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make the sleeves a bit longer, but not much (such that you still show some shirt cuff)

Clean up the back of the jacket

Shorten trousers to have a medium break

Back of the trousers is not visible. So not sure if the seat of your trousers is OK, but the tailor will know.

bluesman528

Reaction score
Originally Posted by newbie123
With regards to bluesman528's comments:

Perhaps a little more structured shoulder with a slightly longer jacket and lapel combined with a lower button stance would have looked better on you
I will consider these when buying my next suit. Frankly, I don't really know what a "structured" shoulder is but the rest I understand
smile.gif

A more structured shoulder has more shoulder padding. Most SFers go with minimal or no shoulder padding a.k.a. natural shoulder and I like that, too. But I think you will benefit from more padding by getting a more V-shaped look (with more jacket and lapel length and the lower button stance, these components work together very well in this case). Not too much of that of course, you should not look like a linebacker as well.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads