• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my Ravistailor suit

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my first suit, a MTM from Ravistailor (I'll probably be trying Thick As Thieves next). Would everyone be so kind as to point out everything that's wrong with it?
laugh.gif

The main thing I've noticed is that I think the sleeves are a bit short. Or maybe the shirt sleeves are a bit long? Or maybe a bit of both?

Looking at the pictures now I could possibly do with having the trousers sit a bit lower as well? Or maybe that's just because I'm used to wearing trousers that are too big...

Anyway, without further ado, here are the pictures:

picture016rp4.jpg

picture017dw8.jpg

picture018mz5.jpg

(I tried to get my shoes in so you can see the break but I didn't have much room)

So...what do you think?

envinco

Reaction score
IMO the sleeves do look a little short, and also the pants a wee bit high. Although with the jacket buttoned the pants looks great. So IMO just keep the jacket closed and you will look great, once you are sitting down the high pants wont be so noticeable so you don't to much to worry about for now, as this being your first suit.

E

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants are way too long IMO. They look extremely high up in the first picture and you still have some break. The sleeves on the jacket look good to me, I think it's the sleeves on the shirt your wearing that are too long.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably totally off base here, but I feel like part of the reason your suit sleeves look too short is because your shirt sleeves are too long.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
Pants are way too long IMO. They look extremely high up in the first picture and you still have some break. The sleeves on the jacket look good to me, I think it's the sleeves on the shirt your wearing that are too long.
Thanks. I just did some measuring and it looks like the waist on the trousers is too small, which explains why they're pulled up so high. My waist is 28", the measurements profile on the website says 28.5" waist on the trousers, but the actual waist seems more like 27". I'm surprised I can get them on at all... I guess I will have to see if I can send them back for alteration, though I was planning on wearing this suit to my graduation in 2 weeks.
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
I'm probably totally off base here, but I feel like part of the reason your suit sleeves look too short is because your shirt sleeves are too long.
Yeah they do look too long, do you think I should make them shorter or make the wrist smaller so the cuff doesn't fall down as far?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeve length is the one thing that looks okay. Your shirt sleeves are too long.

You look like you are extremely thin, this might be throwing off some proportions like the shoulders and the leg width etc. Are you wearing boots in the pic?

Overall it's not terrible but then again I thought Ravi was supposed to be a little better than that.

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Sleeve length is the one thing that looks okay. Your shirt sleeves are too long. You look like you are extremely thin, this might be throwing off some proportions like the shoulders and the leg width etc. Are you wearing boots in the pic? Overall it's not terrible but then again I thought Ravi was supposed to be a little better than that.
Sleeves length seems OK, but the shirt sleeves are long. Try buttoning the collar, it may pull back the sleeves a little. I agree that the pants rise is too high for his figure, but Ravi never saw him in person, or did he?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeve length is the one thing that looks okay. Your shirt sleeves are too long. You look like you are extremely thin, this might be throwing off some proportions like the shoulders and the leg width etc. Are you wearing boots in the pic? Overall it's not terrible but then again I thought Ravi was supposed to be a little better than that.
Thanks for the confirmation on the sleeve length, I'll get my shirt sleeves shorter in future. Yes, I am very thin (32" chest, 28" waist). The shoes are AE Sanfords (not boots). What is it about the proportions that are wrong? Also, any idea what could be causing all the creases at the top of the arm in the side-shot? I think maybe the shoulders being a bit too wide?
Originally Posted by mikeber
Ravi never saw him in person, or did he?
This was done online, so no he didn't.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look like you are extremely thin, this might be throwing off some proportions like the shoulders and the leg width etc. Are you wearing boots in the pic?
I think the shirt he is wearing is way too big (not just the sleeves, but all around) and that is what's throwing it off. What size shirt is that? I would get a much smaller slim cut shirt, the pants taken in and hemmed so that their is little to no break, and dressier shoes. I think that should be OK.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
I think the shirt he is wearing is way too big (not just the sleeves, but all around) and that is what's throwing it off. What size shirt is that?

I would get a much smaller slim cut shirt, the pants taken in and hemmed so that their is little to no break, and dressier shoes. I think that should be OK.

The shirt is MTM from Tailorstore, I also have one from MyTailor which is about the same size. I'm not sure the shirt is too big, I think it is just billowing a bit above the waist because of how ridiculously tight the waist of the trousers is
plain.gif

I will take a picture of just the shirt with saner trousers...

Edit: Okay, now I actually see it in the pictures the shirt does look too big. Bear in mind that every OTR shirt I've worn before these has been HUGE on me, these shirts seemed to fit amazingly in comparison, but it does still look big. Im worried though that if I make them much smaller I will look positively skeletal though, I am very skinny underneath
confused.gif

(shirt pics up in a moment)

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you told Ravi that you are an adult and your chest measurement is 32", he probably didn't believe you and cut you a 34.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you told Ravi that you are an adult and your chest measurement is 32", he probably didn't believe you and cut you a 34.

Just measured the jacket and it appears to be 19" pit-to-pit, which does sound like a 34 doesn't it?

This is getting quite depressing, lol, would Thick As Thieves have been a much better choice?

gamblers4

Reaction score
First it would be a lot easier for us to see the fit of the suit against a solid background, it's hard to see the suits silhouette with all of the distractions in the background.

Personally I like my suit pants to sit just below my naval (more traditional style) than a low rise more trendy cut. The shirt looks like the worst part of the ensemble. Try a shirt in your closet that fits you well with the suit and report back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads