• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Please critique my new Tux

planaport

Active Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Just picked it up. Peak lapel, flap pockets, dual vent, grosgrain lapels and piping on pants. Excuse the neck as my bow tie from Hanuer is still in the mail. I chose the faille for the bow tie to match the grosgrain.



 

jacnyr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
83
Reaction score
1
The suit fits you well but the sleeves look a little short to me.
 

LaoHu

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
604
Reaction score
29
Sleeve length looks ok to me, but the trousers are a bit long judging from the material at the bottom of the legs. I also wonder why the trouser creases appear to move outward as they approach the hem.
 

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2010
Messages
2,904
Reaction score
371
Originally Posted by LaoHu
Sleeve length looks ok to me, but the trousers are a bit long judging from the material at the bottom of the legs. I also wonder why the trouser creases appear to move outward as they approach the hem.

+1 Fit is good, but the trousers might need an inch or so off the bottom.
 

planaport

Active Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Forgot to mention that the tux was made by mr ned in nyc.
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
135
Originally Posted by planaport
Forgot to mention that the tux was made by mr ned in nyc.

Does this mean it's bespoke, or is Mr Ned made to measure? There are quite a few problems with the back which I wouldn't have expected considering all the positive comments on SF about him.
 

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
1,065
Reaction score
211
It seems to have a boxy upper part and snug lower part. And I dont like flapped pockets on a tux.
 

planaport

Active Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Does this mean it's bespoke, or is Mr Ned made to measure? There are quite a few problems with the back which I wouldn't have expected considering all the positive comments on SF about him.

Elaborate on the back problems please.
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
135
Originally Posted by planaport
Elaborate on the back problems please.
The horizontal creases in the middle of the upper back, which are probably caused by tightness across the upper back, and the horizontal creases all across the waist, which are probably caused by either a long back balance or tightness around the hips (or both). If you're standing more erect for the picture than you normally would then it could be exaggerating the latter. There's also the vertical creases at either side coming from the scyes, which are pretty common and probably to be expected if the suit is only made to measure, but ideally shouldn't be there either.
 

Allen

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
126
Reaction score
1
I don't really like the flap pockets, they look a bit too casual on a proper dinner jacket(peaked lapels, one button), makes it look a bit like a lounge suit, but you could always wear the flaps tucked in.
It's the only thing I dislike tho, nice tux.
 

planaport

Active Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
As far as the flaps I chose the flaps as they can easily be tucked in. My posture isn't the best and my shoulder blades on my upper back do not help the situation as they protrude. Cost was 1k. Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
135
Originally Posted by planaport
My posture isn't the best and my shoulder blades on my upper back do not help the situation as they protrude.

This shouldn't matter as long as you stood naturally during measurement/fittings. Any posture problems should be taken into account when making the suit, but obviously if you stand differently to take the photos than you did for the measurement/fitting then all bets are off...
 

keys

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
153
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
The horizontal creases in the middle of the upper back, which are probably caused by tightness across the upper back, and the horizontal creases all across the waist, which are probably caused by either a long back balance or tightness around the hips (or both). If you're standing more erect for the picture than you normally would then it could be exaggerating the latter.

There's also the vertical creases at either side coming from the scyes, which are pretty common and probably to be expected if the suit is only made to measure, but ideally shouldn't be there either.



I agree with all of the above however these issues seem relatively easy to address. The trouser length may be a smidge too long but overall I think that's quite a nice tux....
 

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
2,376
Reaction score
5
The shirt needs to be pressed good, but the suits fits you just fine.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,856
Messages
9,460,653
Members
198,266
Latest member
emailla
Top