• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my new SC

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the second MTM jacket I've purchased from Anthony Paranzino, and I believe the fit is really quite good. However, there's always room for improvement and so I'd like to gather some educated opinions before placing my next order.

Please comment on anything that grabs your attention, but I'm particularly interested in the following features:

Overall length
Button stance
Lapel width
Waist taper
Width of open fronts (quarters)

Front-14.jpg
Back-4.jpg

Left-4.jpg
Right-4.jpg

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
TB - To me this represents a definite improvement over the other longer jackets I've seen you in. I think I'd move the button stance down just a tad and widen the lapels a bit.

Sleeves could maybe be cleaned up a bit? I'm not a tailor so will leave more specific recommendations to wiser heads, but I think the rippling could be avoided.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks good, TB.

To be nitpicky (which I think is the aim of this thread, no?), in addition to the comment above about the sleeve pitch, I think the front/back balance (if that's the right term) is a little off, or the back is catching on your rump. The latter might explain the messiness of the back, too.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fit issues:
1. Sleeve pitch may be off, depending on how your arms normally hang.
2. Too tight around your waist.
3. Back needs to be cleaned up--or at least, the jacket needs a good pressing. Vertical ripples or draping in the back, particularly at the arms, is normal. Curved ripples going in all directions are not.
4. The collar is a bit loose or you are not setting the jacket on your shoulders right. Obvious when you zoom in and see the gap.
5. Short back balance. This is not necessarily a problem, but it is a style quirk (my Neapolitan jackets all have short back balances). Worth noting for your own edification.

Style issues:
1. Hip pockets are way too high, and probably too small.
2. Ditto for the chest pocket: too high, too small.
3. Lapels are too skinny; gorge is too high. But the forum does prefer them that way.
4. Cloth doesn't look so appropriate for an odd jacket. Is that herringbone? It is particularly awkward paired with patch pockets.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
His costume jewelry and belts are pretty. Really suits him.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Say what you will about :foo: , he has an eye for detail.

Poloboy

Reaction score
Overall, this not a good fit.
Sleeve pitch need correction.
Sleeve length is too long.
Jacket length is to short.
Too much waist suppression, looks bad.
View from back is horrible.
FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO BUY MTM FROM.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a similar rippling on the back of my MTM jacket. At the final fitting, the tailor took it in and adjusted the shoulder padding. I get a much cleaner fall over the back now. It's an easy fix.

It does look like it's pulling a little around the middle.

Congo123

Reaction score
By adjusted padding do you mean behind the shoulder? If so they got the shoulder measurement wrong.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
overall looks very good to me... of course, to nitpick - some points I noticed:

length from the front looks good but maybe a little short from the back (covering butt?)
is it me or are the patch pockets a little high up?
lapels could be a tad wider, and i do agree hte gorge is high will will probably date this with time (but I happen to like it, for now).
could be a bit trimmer around the upper bicep area

Foo knows his stuff, +1.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be nitpicky (which I think is the aim of this thread, no?)

Yes. Absolutely.

or the back is catching on your rump. The latter might explain the messiness of the back, too.

I think you're right, sb. The jacket is only partially lined, and so the fabric in back is probably catching on my jeans and causing the jacket to bunch up around my lower back.

gorge is too high.

Is that the same as saying "button stance is too high," or does it mean something else? I'm unschooled on tailoring terminology.

His costume jewelry and belts are pretty. Really suits him.

Thank you for noticing. I've put a lot of effort into my collection.

Say what you will about :foo: , he has an eye for detail.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I say about Foo.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Looks good to me.

Maybe it shouldn't?

I think you're right, sb. The jacket is only partially lined, and so the fabric in back is probably catching on my jeans and causing the jacket to bunch up around my lower back.

Then you would see more horizontal rippling.

Is that the same as saying "button stance is too high," or does it mean something else? I'm unschooled on tailoring terminology.

The gorge refers to the seam between the lapel and the collar. In notched lapels, a high gorge means the notches are high.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the comments here really are personal preferences. One man's high gorge is another man's perfect gorge. One man's too must waist suppression is another man's trim silhouette. And I feel like the top button could be below your crotch and someone will still say to lower it.

Personally, I like to see conversation, and commenting in black and white isn't conducive to that goal. Especially when we don't know what aesthetic you are trying to achieve. Do you lean toward modern and/or trendy, or more traditional? Do you love Richard Gere's style in American Gigolo or Ryan Gosling in Crazy Stupid Love? Do you hang out with power brokers in RLBL, or accountants in JAB? Do you live in Paris, France or Paris, KY? I try to be a realist and compare things relative to something else. Saying that the gorge looks a little trendier than traditional is more helpful for conversation than "that gorge is too high." So I'll throw out one more opinion, from what I would consider a realist perspective... to anyone who doesn't follow fashion as closely as most SFers, this jacket looks damn good. Sure there are probably some cleanup items if you go with the pickier details, like the shoulder pitch. Then again, you'll be moving what 98% of the time you're wearing this thing, so it might be tough for anyone to see if something is weird with or not. And does it just need to be steamed or is there really some odd extra fabric floating around the back?

(I truly don't mean to come off as a d$ck to anyone who posted before me. It just cracks me up at some of the nits that people come up with. Then again, you asked for opinions and got a bunch of them. If you had your own doubts about the coat and were looking for ammunition to take it back, or if you're just interested in some tweaks for the next version, I suppose you got plenty of both.)

Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads