1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by likeaboss, Aug 20, 2011.

1. likeaboss

likeaboss Well-Known Member

This is my second shirt from MT. I used body measurements for both because do to my body shape I have a hard time finding shirt that fits me well. I feel like this shirt fits me pretty well, so I took the advice from other threads and measured this shirt, so I can use shirt measurements for future MT orders. I need to order a few higher quality (more expensive) shirts for an upcoming trip, so I want to dial in the fit before doing so.

I'm 6'1" (185.5cm) and currently 219lbs (99kg). I have broad shoulders and an athletic build. When I ordered this shirt, I weighed around 210lbs but I feel like it fits the same now at 219lbs as when I was 210lbs. I'll be cutting weight soon ans should settle back around 210.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

For body measurements I used:
    [​IMG]
    Back:Average
    Shoulder: Average
    Stomach: Slight
    Body: Well-built
    74" / 210lbs

After measuring my shirt, this is what I got:

1. Collar - 17.25"
    2. Half Chest - 24"
    3. Half Waist - 20.5"
    4. Half Hips - 23.25"
    5. Sleeve Length - 26.75"
    5.1 Elbow
    - A-D = 13.75
    - D-Y = 7.75
    5.2 Forearm
    - A-C =15.25
    - C-X = 7.5
    6. Bicep - 8.75"
    7. Cuff - 9.125"
    8. Yoke - 21"
    9. Shoulder - 7"
    10. Shirt Length - 31.75"
    11. Half Armhole - 11.25"

Do these seem consistent with the body measurements I gave?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. Aldehyde

Aldehyde Senior member

Shoulders seem a touch wide. I usually get side pleats to allow for movement as well. Overall quite good though.

3. likeaboss

The shoulders do look a touch wide in the pictures. I don't recall that being the case with the shirt on, so I'll double check that. Thanks.

4. likeaboss

5. likeaboss

I really didn't want to bump this, but my desire for getting advice outweighs my fear of abusing bumps.

Is there a certain day / time I should be aware of, that's best for getting advice/critiques?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I would:

Add 1/2" to the chest - as it seems to pull a little bit from arm pit to shoulder.

Shorten sleeve by 1/2" as I see a little more puddling of the sleeve near the wrist than I would like.

I don't think the shoulders are much too wide as others have stated. If you lift and cycle through bulking and leaning stages (which I suspect you do) you are going to have to accept some amount of variation so don't tailor too tightly. Particulary as your dimensions will 'hopefully' be increasing with time anyway. Based on my personal experience my shoulder's overall width can increase quite a bit just from a good pump.

7. shakattk

shakattk Well-Known Member

I like a slightly narrower shoulder and a shorter sleeve. But it's your shirt not mine.

8. likeaboss

Thanks guys. I do feel like the shirt fits me well compared to shirts in the past which are usually tight on my shoulders, arms, and back when I cross my arms. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some obvious mistakes in the fit.

I will take your suggestions here thus far and run with them.

Apart from the fit, would someone mind comparing my shirt measurements to the given body measurements to see if anything seems off? I measured as carefully as I could but being new to this I'm afraid I screwed something up and have a measurement that doesn't match up to the body measurements I gave.

9. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Senior member

the sleeves area touch long which is causign a bit of wrinkles but the rest seems to fit ok. It could also do with a good steaming.

10. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

wash the shirt, which accounts for some shrinkage. Then iron and wear and take pictures.

11. likeaboss

Thanks guys, it has already been washed but could definitely use a steam or iron.

The sleeves are slightly long, so I'll probably shorten them a tad. I do prefer my sleeves slightly longer than most though; due to my size, the sleeves tend to pull up more than most when I move my arms around.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  12. likeaboss

So I got ModernTailor to send me the measurements they had on file for the "Body Measurement" shirt you see here. Unfortunately I found out they could do this after already placing an order using measurements that I took from this shirt. The measurements I took are pretty close, except for the yoke which is a few CM off:

[​IMG]

13. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Any time is a good time when you use the right thread. :teach:

As for the shirt, the yoke appears to be a little wide. Not by much, maybe 1cm or so all up. If you reduce the width, I wouldn't increase sleeve length to compensate, in fact I think it would probably go some way towards fixing the bunching in the sleeves (they are a little long). Other than that, it's a decent fit for a second attempt; I'd be happy if my second MT shirt (pending) fits like that.

I note you've washed the shirt already. MT say they pre-shrink their fabrics so there shouldn't be too much (if any) shrinkage left to go.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  14. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I agree with everyone who suggested you shorten the sleeves.

15. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

I agree. I think you can shorten the sleeves a bit and really invest in a good clothing steamer. It keeps the shape of the shirt better.

16. Mimosa

Mimosa Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good. If you are only going to where the shirt under a coat, I wouldn't worry too much about sleeve length. Trying bending your arm as if you were going to adjust your tie. Does the cuff pull back? Pin the sleeve short and try again until it just doesn't pull back.

Mim