• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements

likeaboss

Reaction score
This is my second shirt from MT. I used body measurements for both because do to my body shape I have a hard time finding shirt that fits me well. I feel like this shirt fits me pretty well, so I took the advice from other threads and measured this shirt, so I can use shirt measurements for future MT orders. I need to order a few higher quality (more expensive) shirts for an upcoming trip, so I want to dial in the fit before doing so.

I'm 6'1" (185.5cm) and currently 219lbs (99kg). I have broad shoulders and an athletic build. When I ordered this shirt, I weighed around 210lbs but I feel like it fits the same now at 219lbs as when I was 210lbs. I'll be cutting weight soon ans should settle back around 210.

For body measurements I used:

Back:Average
Shoulder: Average
Stomach: Slight
Body: Well-built
74" / 210lbs

After measuring my shirt, this is what I got:

1. Collar - 17.25"
2. Half Chest - 24"
3. Half Waist - 20.5"
4. Half Hips - 23.25"
5. Sleeve Length - 26.75"
5.1 Elbow
- A-D = 13.75
- D-Y = 7.75
5.2 Forearm
- A-C =15.25
- C-X = 7.5
6. Bicep - 8.75"
7. Cuff - 9.125"
8. Yoke - 21"
9. Shoulder - 7"
10. Shirt Length - 31.75"
11. Half Armhole - 11.25"

Do these seem consistent with the body measurements I gave?

Last edited:

Aldehyde

Reaction score
Shoulders seem a touch wide. I usually get side pleats to allow for movement as well. Overall quite good though.

likeaboss

Reaction score

Shoulders seem a touch wide. I usually get side pleats to allow for movement as well. Overall quite good though.

The shoulders do look a touch wide in the pictures. I don't recall that being the case with the shirt on, so I'll double check that. Thanks.

likeaboss

Reaction score
I really didn't want to bump this, but my desire for getting advice outweighs my fear of abusing bumps.

Is there a certain day / time I should be aware of, that's best for getting advice/critiques?

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would:

Add 1/2" to the chest - as it seems to pull a little bit from arm pit to shoulder.

Shorten sleeve by 1/2" as I see a little more puddling of the sleeve near the wrist than I would like.

I don't think the shoulders are much too wide as others have stated. If you lift and cycle through bulking and leaning stages (which I suspect you do) you are going to have to accept some amount of variation so don't tailor too tightly. Particulary as your dimensions will 'hopefully' be increasing with time anyway. Based on my personal experience my shoulder's overall width can increase quite a bit just from a good pump.

shakattk

Reaction score
I like a slightly narrower shoulder and a shorter sleeve. But it's your shirt not mine.

likeaboss

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do feel like the shirt fits me well compared to shirts in the past which are usually tight on my shoulders, arms, and back when I cross my arms. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some obvious mistakes in the fit.

I will take your suggestions here thus far and run with them.

Apart from the fit, would someone mind comparing my shirt measurements to the given body measurements to see if anything seems off? I measured as carefully as I could but being new to this I'm afraid I screwed something up and have a measurement that doesn't match up to the body measurements I gave.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
the sleeves area touch long which is causign a bit of wrinkles but the rest seems to fit ok. It could also do with a good steaming.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
wash the shirt, which accounts for some shrinkage. Then iron and wear and take pictures.

likeaboss

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it has already been washed but could definitely use a steam or iron.

The sleeves are slightly long, so I'll probably shorten them a tad. I do prefer my sleeves slightly longer than most though; due to my size, the sleeves tend to pull up more than most when I move my arms around.

Last edited:

likeaboss

Reaction score
So I got ModernTailor to send me the measurements they had on file for the "Body Measurement" shirt you see here. Unfortunately I found out they could do this after already placing an order using measurements that I took from this shirt. The measurements I took are pretty close, except for the yoke which is a few CM off:

tone76

Reaction score

I really didn't want to bump this, but my desire for getting advice outweighs my fear of abusing bumps.

Is there a certain day / time I should be aware of, that's best for getting advice/critiques?

Any time is a good time when you use the right thread. :teach:

As for the shirt, the yoke appears to be a little wide. Not by much, maybe 1cm or so all up. If you reduce the width, I wouldn't increase sleeve length to compensate, in fact I think it would probably go some way towards fixing the bunching in the sleeves (they are a little long). Other than that, it's a decent fit for a second attempt; I'd be happy if my second MT shirt (pending) fits like that.

I note you've washed the shirt already. MT say they pre-shrink their fabrics so there shouldn't be too much (if any) shrinkage left to go.

Last edited:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone who suggested you shorten the sleeves.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree. I think you can shorten the sleeves a bit and really invest in a good clothing steamer. It keeps the shape of the shirt better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics