• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my HK & Singapore shirt fits

dbc

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

The caveat to this thread is, I realise the first shirt especially requires a lot of work. I've spoken to the tailor about it already, and will be getting it fixed soon.

Both shirts have been worn and washed a couple of times.

dsc0450q.jpg

dsc0451bw.jpg

dsc0452a.jpg

My thoughts and questions
- Sleeve length a big problem. Will be shortened at least 1.25 inches
- Is there too much excess fabric along the sleeves?
- Is the front too blousy?

This was made in HK I will be getting it fixed when I head up in a couple of months. Didn't have any fittings for this one, so I'm hoping the tailor will improve it significantly. That said, I think it is still subpar and have told him accordingly.

I don't want to name him yet as I'm certain his normal work is much better and that this is an outlier rather than the norm. I will do so after posting images post-alteration.

The second shirt is made from Thomas Mason cloth. It was made at CYC in Singapore.

14m4aqq.jpg

2hnqa03.jpg

2i1nqqr.jpg

Thank you.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Both shirts seem to be a bit too big in all respects.

konica985

Reaction score
Fit okay to me. Maybe a woman's opinion would be better though.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
Both shirts seem to be a bit too big in all respects.

I'm in agreement on this. They both seem a mite too big, the first one much more so of course.

sartorial_marxist

Reaction score
You might want to wear your trousers slightly higher to ensure a neat shirt tuck-in. The shirts might be a little too blousy for you. There are many areas where it could be much "cleaner" as well...

HK from PL? If so, I am not surprised really. His work doesn't seem to be consistent

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Def too big. Also, generally you want to avoid darts on patterned shirts like your vertical stripe.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look like they are just too big. The sleeves could use slimming and the length adjusted. The darts on the white shirt look like they go up way too high. They need some work, but should be better with some tweaks.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree that they are too big!!

hymo

Reaction score
I cannot believe you got a monogram on your cuff. How about placing it on the collar near the tie space for added visibility? I suggest red thread, put in some rhinestones while you're at it.

The problem with no. 1 is not the sleeve length it is the circumference of the cuffs.

You have a dropped shoulder which none of the shirts here account for.

The back width of the shirts are exaggerated.

wetnose

Reaction score
IMO, the shoulder seam (where the sleeve connects to the body of the shirt) seems a tad too low ... my preference would be to move it closer (say 3/8") to your neck to get a closer fit.

Also...your right shoulder slopes a little bit compared to your right.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Theres about 1" too much of fabric on pretty much all measurements.

1" too long sleeves; .5" too much cuff size, maybe even an inch, can't tell; 1" too much yoke; 1" too much half chest; way too big on the waist, especially with darts... Your drop is not large enough to warrant darts IMO.

Also, it seems you favor one leg over the other. Could just be shoulder slope too. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

dbc

Reaction score
Thanks guys. My takeaway- excess fabric on front, back and cuffs. Shoulder on right needs to be accounted for.

Will alter and repost. Cheers.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Theres about 1" too much of fabric on pretty much all measurements.

1" too long sleeves; .5" too much cuff size, maybe even an inch, can't tell; 1" too much yoke; 1" too much half chest; way too big on the waist, especially with darts... Your drop is not large enough to warrant darts IMO.

Also, it seems you favor one leg over the other. Could just be shoulder slope too. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Very good feedback. The white shirt probably needs the most attention, as I think the grey striped one is not too bad. The darting does look very odd!

phelan77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hymo
I cannot believe you got a monogram on your cuff. How about placing it on the collar near the tie space for added visibility? I suggest red thread, put in some rhinestones while you're at it.

The problem with no. 1 is not the sleeve length it is the circumference of the cuffs.

You have a dropped shoulder which none of the shirts here account for.

The back width of the shirts are exaggerated.

What's wrong with monograming on one cuff? I think putting it on the collar is worst!
puzzled.gif

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phelan77
What's wrong with monograming on one cuff? I think putting it on the collar is worst!
puzzled.gif

Sarcasm. People often put a monogram on the chest (or chest pocket, which doesn't belong on a dress shirt). The best place for a monogram is at the bottom of the placket so it will never be seen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads