• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my first WW Chan bespoke shirt

rilian

Reaction score
About a month ago I met with Patrick from WW Chan and was measured for two pairs of pants, and four *****. I just received the part of my first order with WW Chan: one shirt and one pair of pants. The pants fit perfectly, so I'm not going to make any changes for the rest of the pants order.

I'm a little skeptical on the fit of shirt, however, and would like your opinion. Here are some quick iPhone pics taken right after I received the shirt. The shirt has not been washed, or ironed. I didn't even have cufflinks handy, so I used twisty ties:

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

The effect I'd like to achieve is a fitted slim fit. I'm happy with the width of the shoulders, the waist, and the sleeve length. The area that I'm most unhappy with is right below the armpits around the chest, in other words, the "wings." It feels like there is way too much fabric right there. Also, the sleeves seem a bit billowy as well to me. I think a few washes and shrinking might resolve some of this, but I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Which parts should alter? Should I wait till after I wash it to send changes?

Thanks!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
My first question is thus: is that how you naturally stand?

It's kinda intimidating, so
thumbs-up.gif

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. You need to wash it a few times to see how it comes out before you try to assess the sizing.

rilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

It's kinda intimidating, so
thumbs-up.gif

- B

Haha, I don't normally stand like that :) Just hand my arms up to show the amount of fabric around the chest area.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please, please, if you're going to solicit comments, have the patience and courtesy of ironing the thing and stand normally. What kind of feedback are you expecting when the shirt is folding and creasing where it shouldn't be? I can't even tell if the creases are darts.

But nice toilet. It at least looks clean from what I can tell.

rilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Please, please, if you're going to solicit comments, have the patience and courtesy of ironing the thing and stand normally.

Will do and I'll repost. I just got too excited! I literally got the shirt in the last hour.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rilian
Will do and I'll repost. I just got too excited! I literally got the shirt in the last hour.

i know. you and every body else.

but from what I can tell, it looks pretty good. you plan on wearing a tie with that? if so, take a shot or two with the top buttoned, and please don't do the scarecrow pose. if there is extra material in the back under the arms, we'll see it when you stand normally with proper angle shots.

rilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
i know. you and every body else.

but from what I can tell, it looks pretty good. you plan on wearing a tie with that? if so, take a shot or two with the top buttoned, and please don't do the scarecrow pose. if there is extra material in the back under the arms, we'll see it when you stand normally with proper angle shots.

Thanks, I'll do one wash tonight also to see how it shrinks, and I'll repost tomorrow! I'm normally don't wear ties, but I'll take some shots with the top buttoned anyway.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Yes. You need to wash it a few times to see how it comes out before you try to assess the sizing.

+1 even just once would be better.

EriQ009

Reaction score
I see what you're talking about with the extra material under the arms. What makes it look odd is that the shirt appears fitted through the torso, until the excess material under the arms. I agree, though, that you need to wash and iron so you can take a really good look at it.

BTW, I know this was just a typo, but combined with the toilet in the background, was good for a laugh:

Originally Posted by rilian
About a month ago I met with Patrick from WW Chan and was measured for two pairs of pants, and four *****.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
lol, first thing that came to my mind as well.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I think it's a good fit. The excess material at the arms is for ease of movement. I hear arms do that all the time.

haha. exactly. shirts aren't meant to look like they are painted on. a very body-conforming shirt is great for a picture or when you are standing still, but trying wearing a shirt without excess fabric when you are working, reaching for things, etc. but agree, shirt looks pretty good based on what's posted. I think Patrick generally has a pretty good eye for this stuff. He's been doing it for quite some time, afterall.

Robwynge

Reaction score
Are the pants in the picture the ones with the "perfect fit"? If so, we define perfect fit differently. They look too long and baggy to my eye, though that may be because they have slumped down a little and would look better pulled up higher on your waist.

Azure

Reaction score
Nice collar!

I like it but the armhole should be reduced for a better fit and to avoid those terrible wrinkles and the sleeves are too long.

I also liked the fallen shoulder , the straight back and the hidden buttons, I own two similar from Xacus .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads