• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Critique my first Thick as Thieves Suit

Sunscreenboy

Reaction score
DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

My first TaT Suit (mix b/t conservative and house cut). I am happy about this for the most part, but I hope that with the insightful comments from this board, my 2nd will be that much better.

Here are my initial thoughts to adjust on the next suit. I appreciate any comment that you may have, thanks!

1)Chest looks 1/2 too big, espeically right under the arms. Should I also ask to have the armholes moved higher by 1 inch?

2)Right sleeve looks long in the photo, but that's because my shirt is 1/2 short, so no change should be necessary.

3)there are a lot of folds on both the shoulder and back. Did I get both too small? What adjustment would be necessary to reduce the wrinkles?

contaygious

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with the wrinkling on the sleeves and sfers reccomended either rotate the sleeve and/or take it in in the back.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your right. The jacket is wide under the arms. Looks slightly awkward from the front and causes the fabric to overlap on each side in the back. Other than that it would be a great suit.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the balance and proportions are completely off.
Because it is such a short suit and you have a drastic drop, it looks even more exagerated because it is so short, also accuentuated by the skinny lapels.
The shoulders look very funky too, are they padded?

Sunscreenboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe City Thinker
There's a bit of bulk where the armpit meets the shoulders.

good observation. I assume that taken in the chest by 1/2 inch would help?

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sunscreenboy
good observation. I assume that taken in the chest by 1/2 inch would help?

It might. I'd take it to a competent tailor for his/her opinion.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the way the back looks, from the front, it looks about .5" too short to me; yet length looks right in the back. It looks like the photo was taken from a downwards angle, which might explain why it appears too short from the front.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
I like the way the back looks, from the front, it looks about .5" too short to me; yet length looks right in the back. It looks like the photo was taken from a downwards angle, which might explain why it appears too short from the front.

I agree, that is what throws it off. And the shoulders do not look good. the are convex, which looks like old man shoulder.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not take it to another tailor for their opinion...take it to TAT if you have fit concerns

How does the jacket fit...especially around the shoulder and arm pits? (This is the heart of the jacket)

I concur there appears excess fabric near the are joining the front arm pits/chest area...and the same goes for the back of the jacket.

But looks aside, how does it fit. Forget how good does it look...fit is the reason why most of us go beyond off the rack

As to the trouser, I would add a bit more length so that more of your shoe is covered.

Thanks for the having the courage to post your pics and let us throw comments and criticisms as you

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulders look slightly big, and chest is too big too given the shortness of the jacket (which throws off the proportions).

EDIT: I would also take the sleeves up a tiny bit.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Shoulders look too wide and/or too much bulk in the chest. IMO with slim cuts, the the shoulders need to be more snug than traditional. otherwise the silhouette looks unbalanced (top heavy)

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, this is really nitpicky, and unrelated to fit, but I'm not feeling the Park Aves with the suit. It works fine, but I think there are better shoe choices out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads