• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my first MTM TaT suit

evilpotato

Reaction score
Hey all, First time poster here. I recently ordered a TaT 2 buttons charcoal conservative suit. Great service by Jason. I happened to receive my suit yesterday. I'm rather new at this suiting fit. Overall, I'm happy. However, I'm not exactly sure about some alteration details. As of now, I think I will have to : 1. Make the trouser shorter 2. Make the sleeve shorter to show some cuff. I happen to have a problem with the comfort of the suit. I'm not quite sure what range of motion are you suppose to have in a suit. However, when I wear my suit, I find it uncomfortable to lift my hand up or bending down to pick up something/ tie my shoelace. I also tried to pose in a working position and find it to be a bit tight. What seems to be the problem here? Is there anything a tailor can do to fix this ? Also, from what I gather from the searches, I should steam my suit instead of pressing it? Pictures, attached. Thanks all for your help! Greatly appreciate all critiques and the existence of this form.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
frown.gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try giving it a good press first...

Pants are WAY too long and way too baggy, especially for the desired TaT look. Sleeves look good, hard to tell with the back as if its wrinkled it may be ok, otherwise a bit too much fabric in the lower back and waist.

I know what TaT go for, and their look is the 2" lapels, but I just hate them that skinny, but if thats what you like, they look the part.

Lowndes

Reaction score
My personal opinion is the suit doesn't look very good on you. Definitely needs shorter trousers. Also, a suit should be comfortable. The only time I have had problems with comfort in suits is after I gain a lot of weight and then try to wear it. You definitely should have a free range of motion.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"...I'm not exactly sure about some alteration details." -- it's beyond "alteration details".

Well, where to start?

What's up with all the bunched up wrinkling in the photo of your back? Lots of wrinkles in the upper sleeves (probably wrong sleeve pitch and size), the entire length of the trousers (they look a couple of sizes too big) and just above your waist. Jacket waist looks too "pinched" giving it a weird look. Yet another example where a nice OTR suit and a bit of tailoring would have been a better investment.

Twotone

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does TaT offer free alterations? I agree with the above.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Pants = too long.

Coat = too short; too tight in the hips; too tight in the sleeves; too tight in the waist; possibly too narrow in the shoulders (hard to tell in photos, but your comfort problem is suggestive of this); possibly too high in the armholes.

This project cannot be salvaged in my opinion. This is either a result of tremendously mistaken self-measurement or a body type that simply does not work with the TaT cut (and probably a bit of both).

If you don't mind, what measurements did you give them?

evilpotato

Reaction score
Thanks all for the critiques so far... I'm starting to grow doubtful
frown.gif
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
Pants = too long. Coat = too short; too tight in the hips; too tight in the sleeves; too tight in the waist; possibly too narrow in the shoulders (hard to tell in photos, but your comfort problem is suggestive of this); possibly too high in the armholes. This project cannot be salvaged in my opinion. This is either a result of tremendously mistaken self-measurement or a body type that simply does not work with the TaT cut (and probably a bit of both). If you don't mind, what measurements did you give them?
This is the measurements I gave: • around the neck base : 15” • across front and back shoulder (back shoulder is generally .5 – 1” wider than front) • back shoulder : 16.5" • front : 16” • around chest : 34” • around stomach : 28.5" • around waist (2” below navel) 31" • around hips : 34.5" • around thigh : 19.5 • around calf : 14” • jacket sleeve : 24” • inseam: 29” • your height : 69”

trader

Reaction score
how do these guys keep getting business? i don't understand

whymakemedothis

Reaction score
even the suits on their website dont impress.

you couldve done better with a 400$ joseph abboud off the rack
frown.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whymakemedothis
even the suits on their website dont impress.

you couldve done better with a 400$ joseph abboud off the rack
frown.gif

That's getting into B&S PRL territory...though a 36R (the size his measurements suggest) is sometimes hard to find in a OTR decent suit on sale.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
how do these guys keep getting business? i don't understand

I wonder the same thing. Certain people in these forums keep raving about them might be one reason. I have yet to see a single suit from TaT that I thought looked good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads