• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my first custom shirt (Modern Tailor)

mayan50

Reaction score
I have received my first Modern Tailor custom shirt. I modeled it after an off the rack shirt that first fairly well. Can I get a few opinions as to where I should further tinker? These pics are taken after 2 washings. Please excuse the mirrors that are somewhat in the way. Also, this shirt is all cotton, but is of a horrid pattern which I didn't see when ordering (my fault). Just didn't want you guys to think I like the diamonds. :D

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the scope of ordering from MT, but the shoulder point are way to low on your arm, and if possible should be moved up. Also the armscy could be smaller. Like it is now it looks like a normal poorly fitting RTW. shirt sorry, the abdomen area may be the right size for you but the upper body is just oversized.

mayan50

Reaction score
Thanks much. So I would have to decrease the neck to shoulder length and then increase the sleeve length to accommodate? How much would you say? And the other suggestion is to close the arm hole a bit? How does it look across the chest? Thanks.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have tried to draw on your picture with a crappy iphone app to better explain myself. In the first I made an arrow to point the place on your shoulder where the sleeve /armscye seam should be placed. Get someone to measure the distance from that point to the current one and that measure should be cut back from the yoke and upper part of the armscye and added to the sleeve length.

The armscye could be cut higher by about 2cm without affecting the chest at all. Picture two is trying to demonstrate what I mean (purple original-red alteration.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirts look fine but I like the arm gestures. Air Traffic Controller?

Last edited:

Carli

Reaction score
Thanks much. So I would have to decrease the neck to shoulder length and then increase the sleeve length to accommodate? How much would you say? And the other suggestion is to close the arm hole a bit? How does it look across the chest? Thanks.
It is not only the shoulder but your chest/ waist area is also larger and blowy. May be an inch or 1.5" larger than your fit.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
reduce the yoke 1-2" i cant see where the seam lands.
reduce the chest 2" this will automatically raise the armhole
sleeves look long send a photo with the sleeves unbuttoned and hanging straight.
the cuffs are either very stiff or too tight.

good luck with round 2
i bet the fabric will feel the exact same on your computer screen!

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

reduce the yoke 1-2" i cant see where the seam lands.
reduce the chest 2" this will automatically raise the armhole
sleeves look long send a photo with the sleeves unbuttoned and hanging straight.
the cuffs are either very stiff or too tight.

good luck with round 2
i bet the fabric will feel the exact same on your computer screen!

Shirtmaven,

My suggestion was to shift the whole armhole back (4-5 cm perhaps), and I find it is easy to reference to the yoke and then everything else shift with it.

However, as the OP suggest that this shirt was a copy of an RTW shirts he thought fitted well, in my experience, RTW armholes are still at least 2cm to low even when the shoulder point fell properly, so by reducing the yoke/chest as a result of bringing in the armhole, in my experience will not results in a smaller armhole, especially if the manufacturer still reference to the RTW model armhole first sent.

Regards,

Marco

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads