• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my first bespoke/mtm suit and shirt (Navy European cut)

Nguyenning

Reaction score
I don't see any problem with the length. What's wrong with it?
I don't either to be honest... I'm just not that tall and my legs are short 5'10 about 175 lbs. Shortening the jacket would make my legs look longer, but I think I'd be compromising a lot more in terms of jacket proportions.

Nguyenning

Reaction score
Thanks for your insights, all.

Headed to the tailor here in a few and will report back

Nguyenning

Reaction score
Got back from the tailor and got my pants hemmed 3/4 of an inch (just a little bunching up as you can see)

We agreed that shortening the jacket would just be unproportional and it really didn't look like it needed to be shortened at all. I think the pictures are just really dark so you can barely even see where the suit ends and where my legs start anyway.. will take brighter pics next time.

Going to trim both shoulders just a tad to see if that helps. When I tried the suit on again this morning, it was definitely not as noticeable... and at the tailor on the 3 mirror thing, it wasnt too bad but we agreed trimming it would be good. (if we trim the left, we have to trim the right to remain even...) I hope nothing drastic can go wrong with such an alteration!

Not going the reconstructed shoulder route... I'm not even sure what all goes into "trimming" the shoulders but I'm assuming it'll narrow them just a bit which is what it sounds like I need for the mostpart.

Will update with pics when I pick up the suit.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the alteration; if it doesn't work out, get your money back.

Nguyenning

Reaction score
Good luck with the alteration; if it doesn't work out, get your money back.
I'm sure getting the jacket remade wouldn't be an ordeal with my guy or anything, but obviously would like to avoid that if at all possible. Hoping this trimming the shoulders thing will do the job. Again, it's my first real suit... first MTM suit and second suit that I own. I hardly ever wear suits, but being in my mid 20s, it's good to own at least one solid suit.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chris Despos has picked up the left shoulder and there is nothing to ad to his expert suggestions.

The trousers are a little too long as you suggest.

However the overall effect is quite decent and you look fine in it.

Do you have a flap on the left trouser back pocket and something else on the right? Difficult to tell from these photographs but they look slightly different.

By the way where was this made/are you out of curiosity? Thanks for posting, a comprehensive set of photographs if a little dark. Can you post the missing one please? - the inside of the coat showing lining pockets etc: It can be interesting to see how your tailor has finished it.

Nguyenning

Reaction score
Chris Despos has picked up the left shoulder and there is nothing to ad to his expert suggestions.
The trousers are a little too long as you suggest.
However the overall effect is quite decent and you look fine in it.
Do you have a flap on the left trouser back pocket and something else on the right? Difficult to tell from these photographs but they look slightly different.
By the way where was this made/are you out of curiosity? Thanks for posting, a comprehensive set of photographs if a little dark. Can you post the missing one please? - the inside of the coat showing lining pockets etc: It can be interesting to see how your tailor has finished it.

Got the trousers hemmed 3/4 of an inch today along with the shoulder trimming/narrowing. It's double vented... I may have had my keys or wallet in my back right pocket/was messing around with it quite a bit and didn't think to straighten out the vents for the pics.

I'm based in Dallas, TX and went through D. Jones Tailored Collection from a friend's referral. http://djones.com/

When I pickup the suit from the tailor one final time, I'll take pics of the inside. It's violet-ish... with my name stitched, but yes I'll send photos so you all can see how the tailor has finished it.

Thanks for your input. Hoping this attempt at fixing the shoulder works. It's one of those things that turned into a glaring issue the more I kept staring at it. Then I'd show others and no one ever mentioned a thing (obviously not everyones as critical as you guys here, but you get the point)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got the trousers hemmed 3/4 of an inch today along with the shoulder trimming/narrowing. It's double vented... I may have had my keys or wallet in my back right pocket/was messing around with it quite a bit and didn't think to straighten out the vents for the pics. 

I'm based in Dallas, TX and went through D. Jones Tailored Collection from a friend's referral. http://djones.com/

When I pickup the suit from the tailor one final time, I'll take pics of the inside. It's violet-ish... with my name stitched, but yes I'll send photos so you all can see how the tailor has finished it. 

Thanks for your input. Hoping this attempt at fixing the shoulder works. It's one of those things that turned into a glaring issue the more I kept staring at it. Then I'd show others and no one ever mentioned a thing (obviously not everyones as critical as you guys here, but you get the point)

How did this suit end up? Left sightly in mid air

rclark

Reaction score
It looks like you have uneven shoulders (a common problem) and the tailor didn't properly account for it. Is it too late to take it back to fix it? Was it bespoke or mtm?
Also, your trousers might need to be shortened a little; they're bunching up.
I agree, the minor bunching on your left may be your physiology as opposed to the tailor... Best to take it in and have it checked out. Either way it is fixable.

The trousers look good to me, you can shorten them a bit to remove a bit of "bunching" if you like, but that's more a matter of personal preference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads