• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my armhole fit.

Troll2

Reaction score
I am in the middle. I found this at a thrift store - the idiots were actually using the jacket as a storage sack for earth vegetables. The maker is Sartoria Partenopea, circa 1997. I am a bit new to this though and before I take it to my tailor I wanted to get some feedback on what to ask for. Really love the unstructured construction of the jacket. The material seems to be good for four seasons. BTW, I am a 44S jacket and a 48US waist. Hard to fit me off the rack due to my athletic fit (I used to do track and field in school - javelin throwing to be precise). Anyway great to be a member and looking forward to what I can learn.
troll2b.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
this post is sooo stupid. The armhole is not the issue, it's your dropped left shoulder!! BTW, a bespoke tailor like Rubinacci or Raphael would make you look aces.

Dissagreed, sloped shoulders like that need to be built up more maybe with some roping. I would go with Huntsman maybe...

Wideknot

Reaction score
In an outdoor setting like this, it would be more appropriate to wear something in a nice tweed rather than a burlap. Might I suggest a half-belt, three button shooting jacket with two flapped side pockets with concealed shell loops, welted chest pocket, surgeon's cuffs and leather or suede elbow patches to match the shoulder pad? A nice heathery green would help immensely during those stalking times when concealment is critical. As for the armhole, cut the scye high and include a bellows shoulder for freedom of movement while swinging the gun or (in this case) casting one's javelin. I might also suggest some matching tweed breeks and Le Chameau Chasseurs to complete the ensemble. You'd be the best dressed troll under the bridge. Do watch out for billy goats, particularly those named "Gruff."

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think that there may be too much drape on your right chest.

Troll2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
this post is sooo stupid. The armhole is not the issue, it's your dropped left shoulder!! BTW, a bespoke tailor like Rubinacci or Raphael would make you look aces.

I think it is just the angle of the picture, though my javelin throwing has caused me to favor my right arm for a lot of physical activities. I still use my left arm for eating vegefied human innards, but we'd both agree that's less of an anaerobic movement than the throw.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Dissagreed, sloped shoulders like that need to be built up more maybe with some roping. I would go with Huntsman maybe...

I was considering Black Label but like I said in the original post, I prefer the unstructured look. Perhaps one padded shoulder, one natural? I don't want to stand out too much. Just getting comfortable in businesswear.

Originally Posted by Wideknot
In an outdoor setting like this, it would be more appropriate to wear something in a nice tweed rather than a burlap. Might I suggest a half-belt, three button shooting jacket with two flapped side pockets with concealed shell loops, welted chest pocket, surgeon's cuffs and leather or suede elbow patches to match the shoulder pad? A nice heathery green would help immensely during those stalking times when concealment is critical. As for the armhole, cut the scye high and include a bellows shoulder for freedom of movement while swinging the gun or (in this case) casting one's javelin. I might also suggest some matching tweed breeks and Le Chameau Chasseurs to complete the ensemble. You'd be the best dressed troll under the bridge. Do watch out for billy goats, particularly those named "Gruff."

Le Chameu Chasseurs are out of my price range. I am looking for something under $250. I was considering buying some beat up Park Avenues and slipping on some goulashes. I do like your heather green recommendation. Our local Nilbog location Paul Stuart store had some great hunting jackets in quaint colors. Again a bit pricey, but I've already come so far on the journey to looking good, it would be knuckleheaded of me to stop here.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you considered a sack suit?

Troll2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Have you considered a sack suit?

Have you considered getting turned into human innards puree and being eaten by me? Seriously people, only serious answers.

troll2%20mom%20is%20delicious.jpg

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Troll2
Have you considered getting turned into human innards puree and being eaten by me? Seriously people, only serious answers.
I was being serious. Sack suits are an actual type of suit. They might fit your body-type well.

Troll2

Reaction score
Oh. Sorry. Forget what I said about eating your innards, then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads