• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

    LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

    Good luck!.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Critique: Is this suit too long?

bandar

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
I bought this suit from the recent Gilt Groupe RLBL sale. I usually wear a 38S (at least, the two suits I had before this are 38S). I'm 5'7", 160 lbs, athletic build. I went to a Ralph Lauren store a few months ago to look at RLBL suits, and the salesman suggested that I size up in Black Label to 40, and that I could fit in either a regular or a short. I tried on a 40R in the store and it fit pretty well, but they didn't have the style I was looking for (they did have it in a 42R, and the salesman unsuccessfully tried to convince me to buy that and have it altered). My question: Is this suit too long for my body? If it is, would it be worth it to take to a tailor and have the sleeves shortened and about an inch taken off the body? It measures 30" from the bottom of the collar, the other suits I have are 28.5" and 29". Does it look too long, based on my arms, etc? It fits reasonably well in the shoulders, which is the biggest problem I have when trying on suits. Please excuse the bathroom picture, it has the best lighting in my apartment. Thanks for any help.
 

rioni

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2007
Messages
3,337
Reaction score
3
looks like it might be abit long but hard to tell with the lighting in the photo.
 

nonissue

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
715
Reaction score
0
from the bad photo: shoulders look too big, jacket and sleeves are too long, and pants look like they are sitting far too low
 

bandar

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the help thus far. I'll try to take a picture with better lighting. Since I just received the suit, I haven't had the sleeves or trousers hemmed yet, I realize that needs to be done.

nonissue: excusing the poor photo, what makes the shoulders seem too big? This is something that I've never been able to self-critique, so if there's some tell-tale sign that I should be looking out for I'd really appreciate it.

haganah: what exactly do you mean by egg-shaped? Maybe the better photo will help.

thanks again, all.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,806
Reaction score
82
I think the jacket length looks good to me. But I'm not a short-jacket fashionista, so...
 

coverto

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
104
Reaction score
2
The jacket is unquestionably too big. Somebody who is 5'7" should not be wearing a RLBL regular. The shoulders are too wide - the sleeves are buckling from the overhang and in any case they're exaggerated in a dumpy sort of way. If you read the recent thread on jacket length, it should roughly bisect the distance between your collar and ankles, and here it's way closer to the floor. The jacket is long by at least an inch in my estimation, which is a lot, and it's no good shortening it - it would leave the button stance way too low.

The big lesson here is, NEVER, EVER TRUST A SALESMAN. Can you return this?
 

TowleY

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
292
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by nonissue
from the bad photo: shoulders look too big, jacket and sleeves are too long, and pants look like they are sitting far too low

The shoulders arent too bad, but the pants look way too big (very baggy and crumpled at the bottom) and the sleeves look fairly long.
 

haganah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
6,325
Reaction score
30
Originally Posted by bandar
Thanks for the help thus far. I'll try to take a picture with better lighting. Since I just received the suit, I haven't had the sleeves or trousers hemmed yet, I realize that needs to be done.

nonissue: excusing the poor photo, what makes the shoulders seem too big? This is something that I've never been able to self-critique, so if there's some tell-tale sign that I should be looking out for I'd really appreciate it.

haganah: what exactly do you mean by egg-shaped? Maybe the better photo will help.

thanks again, all.


Well take a better picture. I don't know what coverto is talking about but either the suit or the photo is making you look like like an egg:

shapes.gif
 

maufic

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
122
Reaction score
0
The jacket length is slightly on the long side but I think it still looks fine. Some people like the jacket a little longer than others.
 

englanderjk

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
278
Reaction score
0
I agree that the jacket is a bit long but you can shorten it (up to an inch IMO) and still be O.K. regarding button stance and overall balance. BTW, I recently shortened two jackets with similar proportions and was pleased with the result. Over than the obvious things, (i.e., pant/sleeve length), which you've already acknowledged, the suit looks fine.

Originally Posted by coverto
The jacket is unquestionably too big. Somebody who is 5'7" should not be wearing a RLBL regular. The shoulders are too wide - the sleeves are buckling from the overhang and in any case they're exaggerated in a dumpy sort of way. If you read the recent thread on jacket length, it should roughly bisect the distance between your collar and ankles, and here it's way closer to the floor. The jacket is long by at least an inch in my estimation, which is a lot, and it's no good shortening it - it would leave the button stance way too low.

The big lesson here is, NEVER, EVER TRUST A SALESMAN. Can you return this?
 

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2007
Messages
3,710
Reaction score
13
Yes.
 

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

  • Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

  • Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

  • No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

  • I don't wear fragrance


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
508,897
Messages
10,605,946
Members
224,778
Latest member
novasty
Top