• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique fit of this RLBL Anthony suit

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Saks, Barneys, Neiman Marcus, and Bloomingdales in San Francisco today to see what department stores carry the RLBL Anthony suit in a Charcoal 38 (not sure if this was a R or S, I think I forgot to specify to the SA). Only Bloomingdales had it, but the price was $1800, $200 higher than they charge at the Ralph Lauren Store
eh.gif
Please take a look at these pics and confirm my suspicion that I need to beg, borrow, and steal my way to getting this suit.
IMG_20110422_144912.jpg
IMG_20110422_144926.jpg

kraands

Reaction score
Everything looks too big. I would size down.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if that's the short, then it's not short enough in the body or sleeves. also shoulders look a bit wide. I don't know if the 36 is going to be too tight in the chest or waist, but i'd say give it a shot. It's clearly a great suit, but i think the fit on you leaves some to be desired. especially at the full retail where for taht money you could get some pretty good MTM

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good, but not $1800 good.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraands
Everything looks too big. I would size down.

I think the pants definitely looks baggy on you. Shouldn't RL Black Label be slim fit on everything?

Please try 36 and ask us again.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Looks pretty damn good. I'd be curious to see one size smaller but as is, looks really good.

+1

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Shoulders seem slightly overextended. It seems very slightly too large. I am not sure it is worth getting at this price

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have tried on a 36S before and it was tight in the chest and under the armpits so I don't think that will work. I agree that as nice as this suit is, it's probably not worth spending $1600 (from RL directly) on it.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Looks pretty damn good. I'd be curious to see one size smaller but as is, looks really good.
+1

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agree with the consensus,it's nice but coat is too long, shoulders seem a touch wide. if you were getting a great deal on the price i'd suggest alterations, but at full retail i don't think it's worth it.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks a heck of a lot better than most of the "how does it fit" threads.

Seems to be a consensus that the shoulders look a bit wide, and the sleeves a bit long. But I disagree about the bottom of the jacket. A shot from the back could dispel any suspicions of it being too long for you.

$1,800 is a lot of money for imperfection. But...they might alter it for free. Their MTM program isn't too much more.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's sometimes hard to tell from online photos, but is that a seasonal or staple RLBL?

The Anthony model was changed recently, for whatever reason. Seasonals have slightly bigger proportions. Staples, I believe, have been kept in the old cut.

If that is the seasonal, you may want to try a staple in the same size.

I've also seen old seasonals at Barneys. The real point here is - just because one RLBL Anthony doesn't fit you, doesn't mean that others won't. If you want the RLBL silhouette, which is a very British, sharp, modern suit, you should try them on where ever you can find them. You may find one that fits you.

Lastly, you may also want to try the new PRL Bradford model. It's slightly more conservative than the RLBL, but it's somewhat related. BL is made by Caruso, as you know, and PRL is made by Corneliani. Although everything is under the RL house, each of these makers basically compete with each other for business. As such, we've seen makers like Corneliani slim up their suits in order to compete with Caruso. It's worth checking into the PRL stuff now, if you like that kind of BL silhouette.

Good luck.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not impressed
shoulders dont fit you and taper at shoulder/armpit too dramatic
lapel roll is also meh

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads