• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Critique First MTM Suit(Chan Wedding Tux): Major Problems?

evpj2L

Reaction score
I recently received my first MTM suit ever, a tux done by Chan for my upcoming wedding. I'm no expert on suit fit, but I feel like it currently has MAJOR problems (especially with the shape of jacket, most visible in the third picture). I already spoke with Chan, and they said that I can catch them on the next order stop, and they'll be able to make corrections in time for me to receive the re-done garment by my wedding. Please let me know anywhere you think their is room for improvement, especially with regards to what's going on with the weird shape of the jacket. Here's what my untrained eye thinks looks off: -too much material in the jacket hanging over my hips. seems to puff out a lot -too much jacket material under my arms -too much waist suppression? or maybe it just seems that way because of the first two points -shoulders a tad big? (maybe I'm just not used to roping). -pants could be a little shorter -pants should be slimmer?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is all sorts of wrong, IMO.

The back says it all, it looks tight around the waist, loose around the top and the back, tight around the hips (making them look big).

the sleeves, what is going on there, the cuffs need a taper, big time.

I think you hit most of the points, IMO i wouldnt be happy about this. I know there are a few posters who have alot of success with chan (pg..), but this looks like it needs a second try.

TC11201

Reaction score
With the usual caveats regarding assessing fit over the internet, I agree that the back and sleeves have too much fabric and are too wide - my guess is that some of it comes from the shoulders which also seem to extend a little too far beyond the natural shoulder line. Front actually looks pretty good - clean chest, good buttoning point, etc. As for waist suppression, they tend to do quite a bit of that as a default. It isn't right or wrong, other than if you asked for something different. Hard to tell about excess fabric under the arms from the pics, but likely part of the same issue wrt the issues in the back. Pants could probably be a touch trimmer in the seat and the legs and perhaps shorter. Issues yes, but all stuff that can be fixed...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is very difficult to see anything on these pictures. Can you post them at a normal size please?

evpj2L

Reaction score
Ugh, I realize it's hard to get these things right on the first try, but I'm still pretty disappointed with how it turned out. I feel like in its current state, it doesn't necessarily look much better than a rental...

For what it's worth, the shirt I'm wearing in the picture has pretty narrow sleeves (french cuff tux shirt is at the cleaners). Even with the tux shirt though the sleeves looked like they could use some taper.

Originally Posted by TC11201
Issues yes, but all stuff that can be fixed...

I'm really, really hoping this is the case, especially since it's for such an important event in my life (and it's the most money I've ever spent on an article of clothing). Has anyone who worked with Patrick/Chan gone back and made drastic changes to their first garment after receiving it? My understanding is that they're pretty accommodating, but I feel like there's a lot of work that'll have to be done to the jacket...

evpj2L

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
It is very difficult to see anything on these pictures. Can you post them at a normal size please?

If you click the pictures, do they enlarge to normal size? Are they still too small?

evpj2L

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
Did you mail chan your measurements?
Ouch. Harsh critique because Patrick actually measured me on the order tour...

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evpj2L
Ugh, I realize it's hard to get these things right on the first try, but I'm still pretty disappointed with how it turned out. I feel like in its current state, it doesn't necessarily look much better than a rental...

For what it's worth, the shirt I'm wearing in the picture has pretty narrow sleeves (french cuff tux shirt is at the cleaners). Even with the tux shirt though the sleeves looked like they could use some taper.

I'm really, really hoping this is the case, especially since it's for such an important event in my life (and it's the most money I've ever spent on an article of clothing). Has anyone who worked with Patrick/Chan gone back and made drastic changes to their first garment after receiving it? My understanding is that they're pretty accommodating, but I feel like there's a lot of work that'll have to be done to the jacket...

I've never had an issue like this with Chan, but I've certainly had at least this much done to a RTW suit (and probably more), using tailors with less talent / understanding than the folks at Chan and had it turn out fine. Honestly, from what I can see it looks significantly better than a rental tux (although it really ought to) - the neck line appears to be very good (probably the hardest thing to fix), the tops of the shoulder line look quite good (just extend too far), the front is very good (I really do like the buttoning point, the peak lapels and the quarters). Taking in the back and sleeves should not be a major issue, trimming the seat and pant legs is a very standard fix (at least for RTW pants) and letting out the waist a little is also not a big deal. I can understand your frustration and worry, but they are very good people to deal with and want their customers to be happy. I'd suggest two things - 1) emailing Patrick these pics with aggregated thoughts on areas for improvement to see whether he agrees and whether the fixes can be made prior to their next visit, and 2) if not, showing up with a clear checklist of changes. Patrick will be very accomodating, I'm sure. Sorry the first time has been a disappointment for you, but my guess is that it'll work out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads