• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please criticize my suit's fit

Baverso

Reaction score
This is my first suit, it hasn't been brought for alterations yet.

I appreciate anyone's opinions: Are the shoulders to wide? Is the jacket to short? Are the sleeves too short?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

If the sleeves are too short, is it likely that they could be let out?

Jacket Specs:
Labelled Burberry made in USA (A relabelled Hickey Freeman Ltd. according to other threads)
Size 38R
Shoulder length 18'' (My true shoulder to shoulder is 17.75)
Sleeve length 25''
Jacket length 30''

Is the pattern and color appropriate in a conservative business environment?

Additional Note: One profile picture has my arms back slightly, and you can see all the sleeve wrinkles (they may need rotating?). The other picture profile picture I hold my arms more forward and there are no wrinkles. The latter is a more natural position, but it didn't take much to create all the wrinkles in the former.

Thank you!
nest.gif

was385

Reaction score
Jacket looks pretty big. Definitely could be taken in around the waist and there's a bunch of extra fabric on the back.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
It appears you have an issue with sleeve pitch also. did you try on a jacket one size smaller? There is a lot of extra room in the waist.

Baverso

Reaction score
It was a gift to me. I haven't taken it for alterations, so the waist hasn't been taken in at all. On the photo of my back, the left shoulder has this big vertical wrinkle. I'm hoping it goes away once the waist is taken in. I can't tell if it's the shoulders or waist which are contributing to that problem.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baverso
It was a gift to me. I haven't taken it for alterations, so the waist hasn't been taken in at all. On the photo of my back, the left shoulder has this big vertical wrinkle. I'm hoping it goes away once the waist is taken in. I can't tell if it's the shoulders or waist which are contributing to that problem.

So this is a new suit that someone gave you free? It looks OK and I'd wear it for awhile to see how it really fits. Since you got it free then you may want to make some minor alterations. I don't recommend major alterations on anything. There are so many sizes and cuts today that you can find a suit that fits right off the rack unless you have a really freaky body (then you'll need alterations)
You may want to just leave this suit "as is" because you're skinny and if you gain 10lbs it fit well.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves are pitched to far forward.
The excess in the upper back could be let out.
The sides are to straight.
It looks nice other wise.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks too big for you. You need a 36 and not a 38. At least in that brand. A good tailor could make this look OK, but it's going to cost you a pretty penny. Better to return or exchange it for a smaller size. Or sell it on ebay or B&S. I wouldn't bother altering this suit if it was mine.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
It looks too big for you. You need a 36 and not a 38. At least in that brand. A good tailor could make this look OK, but it's going to cost you a pretty penny. Better to return or exchange it for a smaller size. Or sell it on ebay or B&S. I wouldn't bother altering this suit if it was mine.
I'm with acecow. Guess if you have a good tailor and want to spend the money because you love the suit, you could try to have it altered. I emphasize good tailor though, as you'll need one to do the major changes it will take to make the suit fit well. EZ

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
I'm with acecow. Guess if you have a good tailor and want to spend the money because you love the suit, you could try to have it altered. I emphasize good tailor though, as you'll need one to do the major changes it will take to make the suit fit well. EZ
Actually, EZ, check out the back photo and the pulling across the back. It might be that his shoulders are actually the right size. What do you think? In that case it's a simpler job, although a good tailor is still a must. I'd be looking at about $200 worth of alterations if I took it to my tailor.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Actually, EZ, check out the back photo and the pulling across the back. It might be that his shoulders are actually the right size. What do you think? In that case it's a simpler job, although a good tailor is still a must. I'd be looking at about $200 worth of alterations if I took it to my tailor.

I see that now, acecow - good point. Yes, it might be okay in the shoulders... My tailor would probably charge about the same to do the alterations needed, give or take a bit.

The suit was a gift, so if the OP really likes it, it's likely worth the money to have it altered, providing a good tailor does the job. Cheaper than a new suit...

Also, to the OP - it looks okay for conservative business dress - an alternative to the charcoal and navy suits which you should either have or else acquire as soon as possible, assuming you are going to continue a career where this type of dress is required.

Sleeves do not look too short, no. You should have about half an inch of shirt cuff showing beyond the end of the suit jacket.

EZ

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads