Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

please comment on suit jacket fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Redline9k, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Redline9k

Redline9k Well-Known Member

I got a decent deal on a HF Madison, and just got it back from the tailor. Everything fits well except the small "bumps" at the shoulder seam. On the hanger everything lays perfectly flat, but once I put it on, the padding seems to become very noticeable. [​IMG] I know the Madison is a traditional American fit with a more pronounced shoulder, but is this really how it is supposed to look? It needs a good pressing, but I dont think that will solve my problem. What to do?

2. Using Technology

Using Technology Senior member

I think those "bumps" are the style of suit dude

3. Peak and Pine

Peak and Pine Senior member

Those bumps are called roping. They occur purposely when both sides of the inside shoulder seam are rolled in the same direction rathen than split. Sometimes extra roping is added on top of this to give it an even more pronounced 'bump'. This is a very old style, but not out of style. Personally, I like it. Most of my jackets have it.

4. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

If you mean the seam where the arm is attached to the shoulder, that's roping. It's not uncommon, although not considered the favorite style of those who like a more natural shoulder continue to a shirtlike arm attachment.

My HF Madison suits have a little less roping than this, but it could be the angle. My Vanguard model (also mainline) has nearly no roping at all). I have a Kilgour bespoke jacket from the 80s that I bought on ebay. It's got considerable roping, as Kilgour has more of a military cut jacket.

5. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Yeah, its normal. Though I avoid roping whenever possible.

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Need a full length shot to really comment on fit, looks like it could be a bit big overall but its impossible to tell from that pic.