• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Advise

amcolan

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea where or hwo I can get a suit(s) that has a very slim design similar to the suits worn by Jude Law in the Movie Alfie. Without spending a ton of money. Every suit I buy always ends up being very baggy and doesn't look slim enough. If I buy dress pants alone it looks good but then it doesnt match the jacket. Please Advise. Preferably a place in Chicago if anyone knows of one.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
How much are you looking to spend? Banana Republic and Express make slim fitting jackets and pants, but avoid the bootcuts if possible and try to get them on sale.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amcolan
Does anyone have any idea where or hwo I can get a suit(s) that has a very slim design similar to the suits worn by Jude Law in the Movie Alfie. Without spending a ton of money. Every suit I buy always ends up being very baggy and doesn't look slim enough. If I buy dress pants alone it looks good but then it doesnt match the jacket. Please Advise. Preferably a place in Chicago if anyone knows of one.

His suit was Gucci.
Poor Quality, Big Marketing budget, innovative modern cuts that may not last.
However, for non business black on pink can work if you go to more trendy places at night.

Check out filene's, ebay (be careful though on gucci/prada etc.) Yoox.com and you'll find what you're looking for.
If you want a social suit, with cool cut, but of so so quality: Jil Sander (Good Q) Costume National make club suits.

For business? or For Pleasure?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought the costumes were by Margiela, even if the character says they are Gucci. They definitely had a pagoda shoulder that you can't get just by buying any old suit a size too small. But that was the most distinct feature of the suits IMO - that the shoulders were quite built up, and too short so that his deltoid stuck out beyond them a bit.

Also the pants were bootcut.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I thought the costumes were by Margiela, even if the character says they are Gucci. They definitely had a pagoda shoulder that you can't get just by buying any old suit a size too small. But that was the most distinct feature of the suits IMO - that the shoulders were quite built up, and too short so that his deltoid stuck out beyond them a bit.

Yep, In his new film "Alfie" a remake of the Michael Caine 1966 film, Jude Law wears Martin Margiela 3 button suits with aplomb, drawing glances of admiring women.

Seems to be on multiple sites.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

I remember reading an article that said his suits were made by Ozwald Boateng...soo which is it? Gucci? Margiela? or Boateng? Or did they use all 3?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchapel
I remember reading an article that said his suits were made by Ozwald Boateng...soo which is it? Gucci? Margiela? or Boateng? Or did they use all 3?

Jude Law says Gucci
But they were made by M. Margiela at least the black one with pink shirt
Boateng did the shirts, I believe and certain suits in Alfie

This is my best guesstimate.
“The idea was to blend in some design elements of the ’60s, while still being stylish, contemporary and at all times real,” says Pasztor. “Jude Law really knows clothes and he wears them very well. Still, we couldn’t exactly dress him in brand new designer suits because his character doesn’t have a lot of money. To that end, we found a marvelous Belgian designer, Martin Margiela, whose clothes are simple but wonderful and just a touch retro.”
Most memorable among Law’s outfits is the one Alfie wears on New Year’s Eve – a black, handmade tailored suit and a daring pink shirt from the talented English designer Osward Boateng.
“We were looking for something single-breasted, very narrow cut, a suit that reflected the style of the ’60s,” remembers Pasztor. “Then we added that pink shirt, which was sort of a bold statement in itself, and silver cube cufflinks from Yves Saint Laurent. Alfie always has a unique style to his clothing. That is to say, when he dresses down, he doesn’t wear your typical Levis jeans; he may only be able to afford one pair, but they would be designer Rogan jeans.”

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
on a sidenote: i watched that movie for the first time 2 months ago, and was thinking to myself his boss, mr. wing, looked awfully familiar. after snooping at imdb, i then found out the reason- he's "long duk" the exchange student from sixteen candles!! lol

Long Duk Dong: Very clever dinner. Appetizing food fit neatly into interesting round pie.
Mike Baker: It's a quiche.
Long Duk Dong: How do you spell?
Grandpa Fred: Well you don't spell it, son, you eat it.

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

You are quite right on shoulders.

Laying down in my illness I had nothing better to do than watch this film. However, I will say that these suits are 100% not Gucci. here is why

1. His suit shoulders have a pitch to them with a slight rope at the end. That concavity is a genuine mark of Bespoke or very special MTM. Both of which Gucci is incapable of.

2. His shoulder seams are slanted towards back. Another hallmark of true bespoke suit. 100% of all Gucci suits have straight shoulder seams.

3. Sleeves on the jacket have 3 buttons on them. Certainly not from Gucci... heck they are now placing 5 buttons on the sleeve let alone 4.

4. Linings on the suit are red. Gucci does not line their suits with red.

& Above all the cut of the suit has Ozwald Boateng written all over it. he probably said Gucci in the film because directors felt it would be easier for public to relate to a slim or "hip "Gucci suit than say... a Savile row bespoke tailor.

That said... the suits were certainly pushing the limit of slim-ness. Like J said..up to a point where his actual shoulders appeared to be broader than the jackets (visible ripples at the sleeve head).

The Doctor

Reaction score
I'm not sure who made the suits but I've recently made for two different guys who wanted that look, one of which brought in the dvd and we checked it out on my computer.

Both were extremely happy.

I've just visited Chicago and will be back, late January and would be more than happy to show you samples of my work.

I have a made to measure service & bespoke.

Please feel free to contact me.

www.steed.co.uk

Abe-Froman

Reaction score
OK I need to get smart. But need some pointers please.

I have shamelessly dug up this thread from the bowels of the archive in the hope that someone would be able to point me in the right direction to copy (borrow?) Jude Laws style in Alfie.

If you can help it would be great, budget - not a fortune but not peanuts, reasonable?.

As I see it and having read a few articles:
Suit - Slim fit, perhaps 1 size down, but slim - any good urls, names of cut?
Shirt - ?
Shoes - these are always my downfall, what would you wear? Colour, style.

Sorry for all the questions, new to this. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads