• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please advise on fit

mutleybm

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a long-term follower and this is my first post.

I am starting a new job in August and I am looking to up-scale my outfits.

I have recently bought extra-slim and super slim fit shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt as a friend recommended them to me as decent off-the-peg shirts.

Are you able to comment on the fit for me? They just don't seem quite 'right'.

I know the quality of the photographs aren't excellent, sorry!

Thanks all.

mutleybm

Reaction score
Extra slim:

Attachments

• IMG_7794.JPG
    IMG_7794.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7793.JPG
    IMG_7793.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7802.JPG
    IMG_7802.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 33

mutleybm

Reaction score
Super slim:

Attachments

• IMG_7801.JPG
    IMG_7801.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7800.JPG
    IMG_7800.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7799.JPG
    IMG_7799.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 75

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The terms Super and Extra aside, both shirts just look too big. I can't really put my finger on it. It might be that they could use some ironing and your slacks are probably riding a bit too low. The latter can contribute to the billowing effect you see around the body.

I'm know it's tough for slender men, and you are a classic ectomorph, but you really should consider slacks that fit around your natural waist. Too low, and you'll end up with shirts looking the way those do.

mutleybm

Reaction score
The terms Super and Extra aside, both shirts just look too big. I can't really put my finger on it. It might be that they could use some ironing and your slacks are probably riding a bit too low. The latter can contribute to the billowing effect you see around the body.

I'm know it's tough for slender men, and you are a classic ectomorph, but you really should consider slacks that fit around your natural waist. Too low, and you'll end up with shirts looking the way those do.

Thank you :) I'll look into slacks that fit around my natural waist.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep...
Just too big, in a general sense.
Maybe check out Apposta. Sounds like they are killing it with the MTM.

Panama

Reaction score
Smyth and Gibson are made in Northern Ireland and excellent quality, often on promotion at £50.00.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t tell much from these photos. I am not convinced that the shirt is too big since I can’t tell how it fits on your chest and across the shoulders. The pictures are tilted upward from below your waist. Take proper photos with the camera level and at about chest level. No selfies.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What are the sizes of those shirts? Have you tried one size down?

Thres

Reaction score

I agree with this a lot. The slacks positioning probably contribute to the look, but going with a smaller size might be a good idea.

mutleybm

Reaction score
Thanks both.

They’re literally the smallest size they do, 14.5 collar, ‘extra slim’ and ‘super slim’

Montsora

Reaction score
Either one size to big or un-proper tucking/rolling but If their is one thing i know about fashion is that you NEVER want sacrifice comfort for style.

altavista

Reaction score
extra-slim and super slim fit shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt

In my case (14.5 collar), OTR shirts cater for the proper shoulders coverage and overall length.

Sleeves and waist inevitably need to be trimmed-down, looking at the photo of your back - might be the same situation. Take it to a tailor.

fred_jones

Reaction score
They look off and I can not put my finger on it. The camera angle does not help either. Can you change the angle please so it is much higher and front on? Thanks!

mutleybm

Reaction score
Here are some repeat images :)

I've tucked them in as best as I can, including buttoning the slacks over the shirt, and they don't look tapered at all, so I may have to resign myself to trying MTM/bespoke rather than OTR slim CT shirts, either that or binge-eat McDonalds when it re-opens!

Attachments

• IMG_8006.JPG
    IMG_8006.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7982.JPG
    IMG_7982.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7970.JPG
    IMG_7970.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7963.JPG
    IMG_7963.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7951.jpeg
    IMG_7951.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 113

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads