• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please advice on altering my jacket

foto010101

Reaction score
Hello, Today I received my Corneliani suit. Before reading further, please take a look at the jacket below.
cornelianidkblue120sps1vd0.jpg
The whole suit almost fits me perfectly. Unfortunately the chest seems to be too tight. When I slightly push my shoulders backwards the chest of the jacket is pulling. Therefore I can only conclude that the chest should be somewhat bigger. I got this suit for a very nice price and I really really hope a good tailor can alter the chest a bit so that there's enough space. Of course I am willing to look for a really good tailor. Do you think this problem can be solved? Please give me advice on this matter, Mike

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be helpful to include photos of yourself wearing the jacket.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there is no rtw maker that constructs the chest so as to be let out.

foto010101

Reaction score
Ok, I will take a picture this afternoon and post it on this forum.

Thanks,

Mike

foto010101

Reaction score
Hi, Here are some pics of the my jacket (Suit is 40R):
187dx8.jpg
2qc0.jpg
3wl4.jpg
4yc8.jpg
5zc4.jpg
6cs8.jpg

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, looks to tight. Not real bad but not right. Can you exchange it? Your best bet would be a next size up then have it taken in at the waist. Furthmore, it looks a little tight in the shoulders so maybe a larger size is the best idea.

alflauren

Reaction score
It looks good. It also looks like the top button might want to roll instead of being buttoned. That would solve the chest tightness problem.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1, I don't think you're meant to use the top button. It's probably a bit too tight anyway, but at least see if that helps.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think it looks fine.....as suggested, on this jacket only do up the middle button, and you shouldnt have any problems.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look at the model, you can see how the lapel rolls to the middle button (or more accurately, rolls past the top button). I don't think you're supposed to use the top button too often.

but it still might be a slight bit too tight. hard to say.

foto010101

Reaction score
Hi,

You're right, one size up might solve the problem. Actually I measured my perfectly fitting Hugo Boss jacket (40R/50R):

Chest: 44 inch
Shoulder width: 19.7 inch
Waist: 40 inch

This Corneliani jacket (40R/50R) is:

Chest: 42.6 inch (difference: 1.4 inch)
Shoulder width: 18.5 inch (difference: 1.2 inch)

I guess it's best to exchange this suit for a 42R/52R (there is no 41) Corneliani suit and take in the new pants afterwards. I already asked the seller to measure his 42R/52R. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Mike

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you need a larger size in the chest/shoulders. then the sides can be taken in. even the back looks tight. remember the shoulder/chest area is first for fit. the rest can be altered. also you have a left low shoulder.

billiebob

Reaction score
The measurements you posted for your boss suit are very close to my corneliani 52R, so maybe that's what you need.

If it's really restricting your movements, it's too small.

I do have the backs of my suits let out sometimes, after buying the correct size for the shoulders. My posture hunches over sometimes and letting out the back a bit keeps the jacket from pulling.

foto010101

Reaction score
Thanks Billiebob,

You're right, I just got the measurements from the seller and the 42R/52R seems to be very close to my Hugo Boss suit.

Mike

Thank you to all for your help!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads