• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please add your fix-it suggestions for my first MTM!

contaygious

Reaction score
Hi there, I just picked up a bunch of MTM orders from a few different places here in Vancouver and am looking to add your suggestions to a giant fix it list to take back with me to the tailors.

I am 26 years old, 6’8, a slim 170 pounds, and my ideal style and fit would be a mix of docholiday, yfyf. Phat Guido, and Mafoofan, but my body type has proven difficult to make clothing for and it doesn't help that I'm new to all this stuff. I know I need more structure and shape, but am not sure what else to tell the tailors. I am usually told that if I take in my jackets more that it will just accentuate how skinny I am
confused.gif

First off is my 3 piece wedding suit and shirt from Paul’s of North Shore with Frank. The vest is still being worked on and is double breasted. There are some bunchy areas going on that I’m not sure how to fix.
Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

Frank was out sick on this day.
Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

contaygious

Reaction score
Next is a shirt from Steve Samson. I bought 9 shirts that all fit like this one.
IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg

contaygious

Reaction score
Now for the harris tweed jacket from Paul’s of North Shore. Needs more shape I think. Anything else?
IMG_3918nohead.jpg

IMG_3924.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3940.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

contaygious

Reaction score
The next jacket a Milano from the Zegna shop and the shirt is from Steve Samson. I just wore the jacket so it needs to be pressed. Not sure about the pocket squrae with the green, but threw it in there for fun.
IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

contaygious

Reaction score
Lastly here are some shirts I picked up from Paul’s and Steve (sorry they are wrinkled out of the wash).
IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_4000.jpg

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit is mediocre at best.

Sloped shoulders aren't really flattering on your lanky physique.

All the jackets have problems with their sleeves that results a fair amount of pulling under the armpit, this is caused either by improper sleeve pitch or wrong armhole dimensions.

Shape through the chest and waist aren't flattering at all, looks quite tubular on most of them. I'd suggest a bit more waist suppression to highlight a more developed chest area (whether you have one or not).

The jacket skirt also flares out quite a bit for the tweed one, I'd fix that if I were you.

Maybe others could help you out on this but I couldn't quite put my finger on it, the whole ensemble looks too sloppy and seems to require more structure.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants are a good fit even for a flat front. Shirts seem to fit fine, could do with a good pressing though. The sleeves were a bit long on the first two jackets. And the lapels come up to high on the first coat for it to only be a one button they must come further down towards the waist or it just looks like your missing a few.

TheTakeover

Reaction score
I think only the pants look good.

contaygious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Pants are a good fit even for a flat front. Shirts seem to fit fine, could do with a good pressing though. The sleeves were a bit long on the first two jackets. And the lapels come up to high on the first coat for it to only be a one button they must come further down towards the waist or it just looks like your missing a few.

Thanks I probably can't fix the lapels at this point though right? I wanted the sleeves a bit shorter, but Frank convinced me longer was more formal
confused.gif

Looks like I have to make a long list of improvements to take back with me so anything specific people could add to stick on it would be greatly appreciated!

Talbina

Reaction score
I'd like to ask, what the heck is your job?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you're looking pretty good, but you need a few things to change.

The jacket in the first pic, looks nice, i like the shoulders, but it definetly needs waist suppression, i would insist on having it taken in in the sides and in the back.

My experience is that most 'mens stores' cant handle skinny people, they dont know what to do, so you may need to have a good alterations tailor fix it up.

One of the local mens stores in my area doesnt even carry anything under 40, lol they basically told me to put on some weight if i wanted to shop there. Rather then take that terrible advice i started shopping at Ralph Lauren where nearly everything fits me OTR, then i have my alterations tailor finish it up. She's not cheap but she does a great job.

I think thats what you need here, they did alright by you, but you need shape in the waist, some of the pants and shirt sleeves are too long, and some of the jacket sleeves are too short.

showing 3/4" of sleeve is going to have you look like you outgrew your jacket, i would stick to 1/4" of sleeve showing.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that the jackets are all shapeless, the biggest problem I see is that it doesn't seem like your sleeve lengths between coat and shirt have been coordinated; the former are on the shortish side, the latter on the longish.

It's also hard to tell, but there might be some serious sleeve-pitch issues going on as well causing all that bunching. If that's the case, the tailors should be able to remove the arms and rotate them accordingly.

In the future, I would try a more structured jacket, it might suit your frame better.

contaygious

Reaction score
Thank you SkinnyGoomba that is helpful. I have a backup tailor I can use for alterations, but after spending a lot of money in one place it feels lame to have to pay again for alterations. I did have them taken in a couple times and this is how they turned out so far. I'll have to keep going with the supression I guess.

polar-lemon - thanks. I agree I need more structure, but just wasn't sure how to communicate that better. Is it possible to attain that still?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads