• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleas disregard

CloudLi

Reaction score
It is a stupid question to ask

Last edited:

CloudLi

Reaction score
So Meermin, AE, Cheaney (later two on sale) are the best value?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did not really find a thread discussing about best "value" about dress shoes, if there is another thread, please direct me there. All the threads about dress shoes are limited to a certain budget, while I want to know the "value".

As a math guy, I really care about the "value" of the dress shoes, or the position at the price/quality curve. If you are going to tell me EG shoes ($1000) can last 10 year, while AE ($200) only last 1 year with style being the same. I can pay $1000 for EG. Similarly, I would pay $50 each for 10 low quality shoes for each 1 year, if that is the case.
For example, Samuelsohn is like the best "value" for suits, because cheap and quality. By diminishing return rule, the higher end stuff quality does not change that much, so I do not know why I need to buy that kind of high end shoes because the quality will not be much different as ALDO and AE right? Usually, I mean usually, the best value is at the point from unacceptable to just acceptable. Is this right for dress shoes?

Another complaint is that, in my mind a pair of shoes should not cost more than 1/2 of a suit (I made up this criteria). My Samuelsohn was purchased when it was on sale, sub $500. So I really do not understand why I need to pay the same price for a pair of dress shoes.

You're not going to find too many people around here that will bother discussing the value of a shoe...it's an exercise in futility. Ask 10 different people and you'll probably get 11 different answers. If Samuelson is the best value suit for you, that's great, but not many people here will agree with you. That said, it shouldn't matter because it's what you like and what's the best value for you.

Personally, I buy the shoes I can afford and want. Trying to justify the purchase or rationalize the value would drive me crazy.

darcys

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You're not going to find too many people around here that will bother discussing the value of a shoe...it's an exercise in futility. Ask 10 different people and you'll probably get 11 different answers. If Samuelson is the best value suit for you, that's great, but not many people here will agree with you. That said, it shouldn't matter because it's what you like and what's the best value for you.

Personally, I buy the shoes I can afford and want. Trying to justify the purchase or rationalize the value would drive me crazy.
I agree with this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads