• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plaza last = $300 markup??????

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to order a pair of shell alden indy boots on the plaza last, alden shop in nyc told me price would be $900 and 8 months till delivery! I know the barrie last goes for around $650, is this just a ridiculous price markup or do they really go for that much?

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slickman
Wanted to order a pair of shell alden indy boots on the plaza last, alden shop in nyc told me price would be $900 and 8 months till delivery! I know the barrie last goes for around $650, is this just a ridiculous price markup or do they really go for that much?

My assumption would be that this is the cost of an Alden one-off custom order. I know some retailers have stocked this boot in the past - you might want to check with Leathersoul to see if they have any in the pipeline.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This could be possible. The Alden shop might have an upcharge that is large due to the headache of having to order one shoe. As I am told Alden is a bit of a headache to deal with when placing single MTO's. Try going to Leffot and asking Steven. His upcharge might be less?

Althought I highly doubt it, it could have something to do with the welting being more annoying to deal with. I have heard that Alden only likes to use a flat welt on plaza lasted shoes. The Indy typically has a storm welt. Maybe there is something to be said about that?

Originally Posted by tj100
My assumption would be that this is the cost of an Alden one-off custom order. I know some retailers have stocked this boot in the past - you might want to check with Leathersoul to see if they have any in the pipeline.

This is probably true, making larger runs drives the unit cost down. You might want to wait it out until LS gets them if they do them often.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like the John Lobb 7000 last, the Plaza last is exclusive and therefore commands an upcharge of 50%-100%, depending on lunar cycle

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
This could be possible. The Alden shop might have an upcharge that is large due to the headache of having to order one shoe. As I am told Alden is a bit of a headache to deal with when placing single MTO's. Try going to Leffot and asking Steven. His upcharge might be less?

Althought I highly doubt it, it could have something to do with the welting being more annoying to deal with. I have heard that Alden only likes to use a flat welt on plaza lasted shoes. The Indy typically has a storm welt. Maybe there is something to be said about that?

This is probably true, making larger runs drives the unit cost down. You might want to wait it out until LS gets them if they do them often.

Yea i asked LeatherSoul, they just flat out said we cannot get that shoe for you, Aloha
I'm still waiting on Leffot, as ordinary as Alden's are, they are being treated like a bespoke suit which is quite unbelievable to me

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea i asked LeatherSoul, they just flat out said we cannot get that shoe for you, Aloha
I'm still waiting on Leffot, as ordinary as Alden's are, they are being treated like a bespoke suit which is quite unbelievable to me

If you wanted #8 we could do it without any upcharge since it's a boot we have made in the past. But, cigar is kind of hard.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8 months is not possible though given the current situation at the factory and because that boot has hand sewing. We'd quote you 9-12 months from the time we actually place the order.

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
If you wanted #8 we could do it without any upcharge since it's a boot we have made in the past. But, cigar is kind of hard.
I saw the Cigar on your site thats why I though it would be possible, just love the cigar color, #8 is more burgundy/oxblood no?
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
8 months is not possible though given the current situation at the factory and because that boot has hand sewing. We'd quote you 9-12 months from the time we actually place the order.
So expected delivery would be next winter? Wow thats crazy, Alden's gotta step their game up

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you think $250 upcharge on a custom order $650 boot is excessive?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where did you find an Indy on the Barrie last?
confused.gif

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a company that did an Alden blucher boot and I can remember the name. Twas a longwing boot IIRC. I;ll try to find the pic. Price was way under $800.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics